what to use, grout or concrete mortor or ???

Users who are viewing this thread

tikicarver

Reaction score
Just moved in to a new house and fixing various problems. The master bath has a shower tiled in rock. Looks kind-of like a cave, but we like it. The shower valves were leaking so i had to take them apart and rebuild them. They work great now, no leaks.
The eshcusions were a mess, there were big globs of silicone all around them. I cleaned all that out, but now I need to fill the space so they will sit flush against something. The grout between the stones looks very rough like cement mortar that you use to build a cinder block wall.
I'm wondering what I should use so it doesn't fall apart. I was thinking regular grout would not work because the area to fill is pretty big and it has to be thick.
What should I use that will not break apart and will stick good?
shower.jpg

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Not your every day shower. I was thinking thin set. Not sure how it will stand up but the color may be close to your joints. I'm sure others with more tile experience will be along.

John

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You may get some more ideas at "Tile Your World" website www.johnbridge.com. Not sure what I'd use. How big are the typical gaps? A sanded grout can be used quite thick, but typically works best between the edges - it might stick to the surface, but that isn't its primary purpose. Thinset is somewhat porous and normally can't be applied more than 1/4" thick. A medium bed mortar can be much deeper, and would stick. It would all depend on how finished you want it to look and how thick the material needs to be.

tikicarver

Reaction score
I don't know what they used.
The average gap between the rocks is about 1/2"
The area by the valve needs to be around 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
I'm really thinking they did not use grout, it is very rough, really looks like cement motor
like you would see in a cinder block wall or a rock wall.
I did find out the guy who built the house was a mason.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks