backwards faucet?

Users who are viewing this thread

billv

Reaction score
My friend had new faucets put on her bathroom sink. They have knob shaped handles. The left one turns counter-clockwise to turn on the flow, while the right one turns clockwise. Everyone who goes in the bathroom comes out and says the left faucet is backwards.

If she had lever shaped handles, they would be right, as you would pull the lever to you to turn on the flow and push them back to shut it off.

The plumber says they're fine. Who's right?

billv

Reaction score
I'm not at the house. I don't recall seeing one. I was curious about the manufacturer, too. The old set was "Standard", and I think they took the old knob off the stopper pull and put it on the new stopper pull so that it would "match" the other fixtures, which are also "Standard". Unless this one is also a "Standard" and I'm mistaken about them using the old knob.

Asktom

Reaction score
The plumber is right. I would have guessed that some might think the cold (right) was backwards, many companies have used stems that open counterclockwise for both hot and cold on faucets with roundish or cross handles, especially in the past. These days you find both. I imagine the change is happening because it allows manufacturers to sell many different trim styles that all fit the same body.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

It is probably one of the "decorator" line faucets. They have never learned about round handles and ship ALL of their faucets with lever handle stems. From your description the left one is correct and the right one is backwards, (although that can change will wall mounted faucets and lever handles). Some stems can be "modified" to turn the proper way, and others have to be replaced with a "hot" stem. When I encounter the situation, however, I always check with the customer to be sure it is okay to make them correct, since they are usually used to them being the "wrong" way.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

If YOU supplied the faucet, it is NOT his job to "fix" it, although if it is one that is reversible, he might do it as a courtesy WHILE he is installing the faucet, but not to make a return trip at no charge.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Roundish handles are normally set so both turn the same way...CCW=ON. Some faucets like Deltas can be reversed by rotating the cartridge 180º in the body. Maybe it was just put together wrong by the plumber,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Very few faucets come with the stems "disassembled" so the plumber would NOT have done it wrong. MANY faucets from companies such as California Brass, Santec, etc., DO come with the cold faucet turning backwards because they send ALL their faucets as if they were going to have lever handles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks