In-House Vent??

Users who are viewing this thread

SoInBoy

Jack of all trades,, master of none
Reaction score
My cousin just bought a house and wants to do some remodeling.. They want to move the bathroom vanity from one wall to the other. In doing so, I can eliminate about 6 feet of supply pipe.. I can also eliminate about 6 feet of drain pipe along with a lot of joints if I can use an "in-house" vent..

This is my question:

Are the in-house vents any good and can they be trusted??

I have never heard of them, but my uncle (their dad) suggested the vent to me.. I would show a picture but I'm not driving 45 minutes for that. Sorry

Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is called an AAV...air admittance valve. They are not popular among many plumbers, because they are not foolproof, and cannot be expected to last the life of the house. They have been widely used. They are allowed by code SOMETIMES, and some areas prohibit, so that is your first question.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A proper AAV cost more then $20

10 feet of ABS pipe and a few fittings will be less then that.
Pipe doesn't fail.

Just a thought.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Aav

When everything is working properly an AAV will work to the extent that you do not even know it is there. BUT when certain common conditions occur the AAV can have serious problems such as the sink not draining, even though ITS drain is not plugged. When that happens you might spend time trying to unplug its drain and not know about the condition which is actually causing the problem.

SoInBoy

Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the comments.. I've never put one in before and didn't know if they're any good or not.. This helps.. Thanks!

SoInBoy

Reaction score
Still Corious

So after reading some other posts, I read that the AAV's shouldn't be used in a toilet application..

In my application, I will be using an AAV to vent a kitchen sink, bathroom sink, vanity, and a shower...

Is this too much for an AAV?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
So after reading some other posts, I read that the AAV's shouldn't be used in a toilet application..

In my application, I will be using an AAV to vent a kitchen sink, bathroom sink, vanity, and a shower...

Is this too much for an AAV?

Its unlikely that anyone will be using any 2 of those fixtures at the same time ,The likelyhood of anything bad happening are minimal, BUT, if any one of those fixtures is went venting the existing toilet, then you can add the toilet to your list (which means you will be venting kitchen sink, bathroom sink, vanity, and a shower... AND A TOILET

With all the fixtures on your list, I would strongly suggest the fullproof way, that way you will not give an oppurtunity for MUrphy's law to take affect. Do yourselves a favour and run the extra vent pipe ( You will all be able to sleep at night without any regrets)

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can not use AAVs for the whole house venting. You must have a vent to the outside somewhere in the system. Because they are mechanical and subject to failure, they must be accessible for replacement. They can not be buried in walls. I would suggest you use they only if an outside vent would be very difficult to install, and of course only if permitted by local code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks