(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bradford White FVIR question

Default Bradford White FVIR question

Instead of having just the small screen on the underside of the tank for air intake like the Smith/State/Whirpool etc have, does the Bradford White have the entire bottom open to accept air intake (I know it gets air from grates on side of heater but was wondering if when it actually goes in the burn chamber is it the same small opening as the others mentioned or is the whole bottom open?

The BW picture is a little confusing as it shows air coming up in one section. I thought I read somewhere that the BW is superior because it allows air to come up into the chamber from the whole bottom (which to me would be a benefit for proper combustion and drafting, venting)

Thanks

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking yes

you are really beating this to death....

look at this page on my site and you will see the difference...

http://weilhammerplumbing.com/products/

I suppose I am but I want to be 100% sure that I won't make the same mistake on a water heater.

Just to clarify...you answered yes in your title response...were you meaning yes to my question if the whole bottom of the BW combustion chamber was open to accept incoming air? I have been on your site a LOT as there is a lot of good information. That picture gives me a good idea on how a BW accepts incoming air but only shows it coming up into the chamber in that one spot. I'm just wondering if that is an example or if it actually takes in air from whole bottom of the chamber

Maybe I'm not asking it right...does it makes sense what I'm asking? I guess the majority of people here who have installed BW's may know? I've never seen one before so hard for me to see...I DO know how awful and small the Kenmore air intake is though...the mesh screen around base of the water heater may stop some dust and lint but I bet it doesnt do any favors for the airflow

Thanks for your help

I don't see how much clearer it can be explained. Mark's pictures tell the story pretty well. Bradford White or Rheem are the only choices that make sense. How many more trips around the barn do you need?

Ok maybe I'm misunderstanding...I see how the air comes in the side...I see how the air goes down into the holes...I see how air comes up into the chamber...

What I am unclear is on where the air comes into the chamber...is it only the one spot that shows in the illustration or does it come in all over the bottom of the chamber? Is there more than one opening on bottom of chamber? Mark has had some great shots of the bottoms of the other tanks..wonder if this is the same or more wide open?

I guess a better way to ask this...is ther only one slot on the bottom of the BW to accept air similar to the AO Smith? The difference being that with the side mount air inatke it will stay cleaner?

I am asking a particular specific question...i'm sorry if I'm ticking so people off...this stuff is 2nd nature to you guys...all new to me, hence all the questions

Found this on You Tube explaining just about all my questions...thanks guys for the info and you were pretty much dead on....seeing the video really helped a lot especially in regards to my question on how big the flame arrestor is on the BW

I gotta say this water heater looks pretty impressive....makes me think the Kenmore is a ticking time bomb Why others didn't follow BW's lead is beyond me

Peace of mind I think will be switching to a BW

So for anyone looking for info on the Defender system by BW, this video by Ron Jaworski explains it all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfcbZqRSKIQ
    Last edited by Terry; 01-20-2010 at 02:13 PM.