Toto toilet help!

Users who are viewing this thread

bitzo

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a total newby, so please excuse my ignorance. I removed my old toilet, to make way for installation of my new TOTo Aquia two piece toilet, and in so doing, I removed the flange from my toilet aswell - guess I was a little gung-ho. Anyway, I now need to replace the flange - I can't seem to find one that will work with the lip of the pipe sticking up. Would it be really ill-advised to invert a brass flange, water-tighten with plumbers putty, then adhear to the floor?

Thanks,

Kate

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Plumbers Putty is not intended for that purpose. Go to a real plumbing shop. They will have a flange that will work for you and the correct product to attach it. You need to know the size of pipe you are dealing with. The flange should set on top of the finished floor and be screwed through the finished floor and into the sub floor. I use #12 stainless steel screws of sufficient length to reach through both floor layers. Be sure the flange is oriented so the flange bolts are in the proper position. Most pros would advise a flange with a stainless steel ring rather than plastic or plain steel. Costs more but will last forever. Use a plain wax ring...no funky funnel.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only (moderately) easily removeable toilet flange likely in an old house is one used with a lead bend. So, if you have that, and removed the flange, you might want to get a plumber involved to reinstall one for you. Personally, if I had a lead bend, I'd prefer to tear the piping out and replace with cast iron or plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks