Pressure Switch Problem or...

Users who are viewing this thread

chainsawmike

Reaction score
The water pump on my well has started to run continuously. I turned the well power off, and removed the cover from the Square D pumptrol switch. When I lift on the rocker arm spring assembly to close the valve and open the contacts, then turn on the power, the well pump does not run. After water has been used, the pump turns on and continues to run.

Is this a clear indication of a bad switch or could it be another problem such as a leaking bladder tank or a leak in well line?

JMMJR

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but this is the exact same thing that happened to me when we had to replace our old convertible jet pump. It couldn't reach the cut-out pressure of the pressure switch. Once the pump was kicked on, it would run and run because it couldn't build enough pressure to trip the pressure switch to turn the pump off. Just as in your case, if I cut power to the pump and then restore it - the pump wouldn't come back on until water use dictated... But then, it would run continuously. First thing I did was replace the switch - no change.

Last edited:

chainsawmike

Reaction score
JJMR - Thanks, I was hoping it was maybe just the switch, but the discription of your situation and repair sounds plausible. Now I wondering if I can tackle replacing the pump. Guessing, the easiest thing to would be to match and replace the previous Flint & Wallings pump. Just wondering what other problems this would present?

chainsawmike

Reaction score
Maybe some additional information would help. I purchased the 40 year old house 5 years ago. Getting plenty of water, just that the pump keeps running.

No idea on the condition of the well, other than it is over 200' deep. The serial # on the Flint & Wallings pump is 94J105 and the housing is 9703, so guessing the pump is 12 years old.

No idea on the condition of the well pipes. Hoping the problem does not involve additonal repair than "just" replacing pump.

Last edited:

JMMJR

Reaction score
You could have another issue. I was just sharing my experience.

We converted to a submersible pump instead of installing another convertible jet pump. The logic behind it was that they recommended pulling the well piping to make sure there weren't any other issues.

It just made more sense to put in a submersible.

We had just bought the house a few years before and the previous owner gave us no information, so I had no idea how deep the well was, etc.

Now I know, and I don't miss the noise from the old pump that was in my crawlspace directly below my kitchen.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The water pump on my well has started to run continuously. I turned the well power off, and removed the cover from the Square D pumptrol switch. When I lift on the rocker arm spring assembly to close the valve and open the contacts, then turn on the power, the well pump does not run. After water has been used, the pump turns on and continues to run.

Is this a clear indication of a bad switch or could it be another problem such as a leaking bladder tank or a leak in well line?
It's rarely the switch, and as we see, it comes on but can't shut off. That's because you don't have enough pressure to get it up to open the points in the switch.

You don't say what type pump you have; jet or submersible. If a jet, the switch, its nipple, any tubing to it or the fittings the tubing attaches to or the holes the fittings screw into could be partially blocked with rust etc..

Or the jet could be blocked. If you have a single line shalow well jet, the jet is in the wet end of the pump and a 2 line deep well jet, it's in the j-body in the well at the end of the drop pipes and the foot valve is below the j-body and its inlet screen could be blocked.

If a submersible pump, the inlet screen could be blocked or with either a jet or sub, you could have a water leak in the drop pipe in well or the pipe going to the house.

Or the impellers could be worn and you have a bad pump. Or the water level could have fallen in the well and the pump can't deliver the pressure it used to from that depth.

chainsawmike

Reaction score
Decided on getting a well installer to look at this situation. So far I agree to the all the possible solutions listed. I am leaning towards a submersible pump. Hate to think of the extra price for the install compared to just replacing the line jet pump, but at least I'll get the well line inspected. Hopefully the well casing is still ok and I do not have to replace the well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks