Appliance Flood Rim, Outlet Location

Users who are viewing this thread

MarkinMich

Reaction score
I'm planning to install a countertop above my new front load washer and dryer. The countertop height would be about 40 inches.

I'd like to add an outlet below the countertop to keep the washer and dryer electrical cords out of view. However, I read on "Yahoo Answers" that "The IPC, IRC, and most state plumbing codes require the outlet box to be 6 inches above the flood rim of the appliance." Is this true? And is the flood rim of a washing machine the top surface of the machine?

Do I have any other options for hiding the appliance electrical cords or am I doomed to cutting a hole in the counter top and continuing to use the current outlet which is at a height of about 48 inches?

Thanks!

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I can't find anything against installing lower than 48", I flipped through the NEC and googled NEC requirements.

ECOfarmer

Reaction score
My understanding was 6†above a fixed flood rim. As long as the washer has a plug the NEC dose not consider it as a fixed appliance. There might be a local code but you can always call your inspector and ask.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
And with the emphasis on a front load washer, it's hard for one of those to get a plug wet above 12". Not even enough water for a respectable splash.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flood

The flood rim of most washers is either the top of the machine, OR the top of the drain hose, since that is where the overflow would go if the water level rose too high. For a top load which fills with water the hose has to be higher than the water level, but a front load has a much lower water level so the hose can also be lower.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks