pump failure

Users who are viewing this thread

remoldel12

Reaction score
I have a flow tec 1/2hp submersible pump in a 25'well. The pump, switch and tank were all replaced in march due to the pump going bad it was twelve years old. The new system worked fine up until about two weeks ago then my problem started. What it started doing was if you turned two faucets on at the same time the pump stops running. When this happen the contacts on the switch are closed and the wires from the house are hot to the switch and the wires from the switch to the pump are hot, then in a minute or so the pump kicks back on and works fine as long as there is only one water source is in use.
I contacted flow tech and explained my problem to them and they told me the pump was at fault and to return it and it would be replaced under warranty. I did this and installed it along with a new switch, this worked fine for a day and then it started the same thing.
One other thing this system even the original has always seemed to cycle on and off constantly when a faucet is on, is this due to the size of the pressure tank or is this normal. I forget the tank size but its about the size of a basketball.
thank you
bill

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Unless you have a CSV and I don't think you do, you need a much bigger tank.

remoldel12

Reaction score
this system has worked fine up until two weeks ago.the frequent cycling when water is running has never been a promblem just a concern.

bill

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The frequent cycling will destroy you pump prematurely. However, the main problem sounds like the pump is pulling the well down. Have you checked water levels with the pump running?

remoldel12

Reaction score
The well is completely full and always is. The well is fed from a pond the well serves more as a holding tank. My problem is the pump shutting down when more than one water source is used. Up until two weeks ago there was never a problem with the system, the frequent recycling has always gone on presenting no problems. The pump we replaced in march was at least 12 years old.

bill

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I have a flow tec 1/2hp submersible pump in a 25'well. The pump, switch and tank were all replaced in march due to the pump going bad it was twelve years old. The new system worked fine up until about two weeks ago then my problem started. What it started doing was if you turned two faucets on at the same time the pump stops running. When this happen the contacts on the switch are closed and the wires from the house are hot to the switch and the wires from the switch to the pump are hot, then in a minute or so the pump kicks back on and works fine as long as there is only one water source is in use.
I contacted flow tech and explained my problem to them and they told me the pump was at fault and to return it and it would be replaced under warranty. I did this and installed it along with a new switch, this worked fine for a day and then it started the same thing.
One other thing this system even the original has always seemed to cycle on and off constantly when a faucet is on, is this due to the size of the pressure tank or is this normal. I forget the tank size but its about the size of a basketball.
thank you
bill
It sounds to me that you have wrong voltage going to the pump; probably 120vac instead of 240vac. Or a short in the cable or motor. Shutting off the power to the pump first, the short can be found with a multimeter by checking the lines to ground and proper ohms reading of the motor windings. And you could check for proper amps draw if you had an map meter. The readings should be in a service manual from the manufacturer, and I wouldn't replace the pump before finding out what is wrong or what it is doing. Hot wires says too much amperage.

The second faucet demands more water from the pump and the thermal overload safety in the motor is opening shutting off the pump so it doesn't burn up. Then it cools off and the thermal overload closes turning the pump on again. This is very bad for motors and wires.

The small tank is to allow the pump to run continuously, so the tank Tee etc. maybe a constant pressure type. You don't say if this is a jet or submersible pump...

Last edited:

remoldel12

Reaction score
Gary
The pump is a submersible pump. The voltage is correct going to both the pressure switch and the pump, perhaps I miss spoke saying the electrical lines were hot, what I ment was the wires had power when the pump stalls.

bill

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks