Hose Bibb Connected to Underground Sprinker System

Users who are viewing this thread

c_g_lima

Reaction score
I have an underground sprinkler system in my house, and I would like to add a hose bibb coming out of the main line (1" pipe). I need a couple of extra hose bibbs around the yard, so I thought I could take advantage of that water line for that purpose.

My plan is to use a 1"x3/4"x1" tee, then run a 3/4" pipe to a 3/4"x1/2" elbow, and finally run a section of 1/2" pipe vertically to the hose bibb. This section of the pipe will be run agains a wall. This pipe layout is based on the sprinkler system itself which starts with the 1" pipe coming from the meter, drops down to a 3/4" pipe at the zone and drops again to 1/2" pipe to each of the spray valves. Rotors are attached directly to the 3/4" lines.

I am not sure about what type of pipe I should use for the section that will run vertically to the hose bibb and will be exposed to the weather. A friend of mine told me I may need to use a galvanized pipe because PVC may freeze easier than galvanized pipe during the winter months. I live in South Mississippi, and we don't get cold temperatures like some of you guys who live up north, but we do get below 32 F down here at night.

Any thoughts on that?

Also, I was looking at the American Valves web site, and noticed that they have a type of hose bibb called garden valve. Are garden valves better suited for what I am trying to do?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
yardhydrant_installed.jpg

They make yard hydrants that are self draining for winter use.
This is what I use.