Tough shower faucet removal

Users who are viewing this thread

HoracioO

Reaction score
I have these rather hard to remove shower faucet handle that I can't remove. I removed the screw and have pulled but to no avail. How should I try to get these off?

faucet.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
handle

A somewhat inexpensive handle puller will do the job. Those are American Standard handles which have a tapered spindle, so even a slight upward movement will loosen them.

handle-puller-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HoracioO

Reaction score
Handle puller doesn't seem to work

Thanks for the help, however when I tried a handle puller, but the lower part did not seem to reach a solid surface to push against while the thread part makes contact with the handle and so it seems I'm not getting outward pull, just squeezing the handle? Or should I be brave and tighten the handle puller no matter what?

Maybe the picture shows the problem? I also tried another brand of handle puller and same issue.

with_puller.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Heat...For handels that I feel will become damaged from the puller I use a torch turned way down and VERY SLOWLY heat the handel ...and using a leather glove wiggle it from time to time...all of a sudden it will let go...Your bigger concern while heating may be the shower wall if it is plastic...

Concentrate you heating efforts near the screw hole...not the bottom end...

Last edited:

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, however when I tried a handle puller, but the lower part did not seem to reach a solid surface to push against while the thread part makes contact with the handle and so it seems I'm not getting outward pull, just squeezing the handle? Or should I be brave and tighten the handle puller no matter what?

Maybe the picture shows the problem? I also tried another brand of handle puller and same issue.

Put the screw back in the handle but do not tighten it all the way and place the puller against the screw.

John

HoracioO

Reaction score
It does have a long pin, it is just is not long enough, so the picture shows the puller seating on the handle. I'm going to try some of the above tips, first the one putting the screw back in and trying to use that as the "bottom"

Off to give it a try, will let you know how it went!

HoracioO

Reaction score
Well I tried leaving in the screw, it bent the long pin on the extractor.

The long pin on the tool is the same size as the screw that holds on the handle, so I understand why it was never going to work.

I tried seating it and bumping the handle out with the puller, but the whole handle and pipe moves with the knock, effectively absorbing the effect of the blows.

HoracioO

Reaction score
Back again, the heating did not work. I'm beginning to wonder if they glued this thing on.
I used a heat gun and warmed it up pretty good but to no avail.

What's the best way to remove this, even if it means damaging/destroying the faucet?

HoracioO

Reaction score
Success...

A little heating again then some persuasion with a channel lock!

And it looked glued... epoxy I think! Luckily not plastered but it was glue

Thanks to all who gave me strategies, I'm sure they all would have worked if it had not been for the glue.

Cheers all

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had problems with the same American Standard Renu handles. The puller didn't have a long enough pin on the end to reach.

At this point, you may want to consider a new single handle pressure balanced faucet.

They make remodel plates that cover where the handles were.

You may or may not even be able to find parts for your old faucet.

Attachments

• moen_remodel_plate.jpg
    moen_remodel_plate.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 13,646
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks