changed vent pipe to PVC but not aligned

Users who are viewing this thread

samlin7

Reaction score
Hi there

I changed the galvanized steel vent pipe to PVC, because it was going to be in the way of my new basement wall. It needed to be shifted over by about 1.5 inches towards the wall. Long story short, I did it, but it is not perfectly aligned at the no-hub area. Here are the photos.

would this suffice? Or is there another solution?

Thanks

Attachments

• vent pipe 1.jpg
    vent pipe 1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 283
  • vent pipe 2.jpg
    vent pipe 2.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 299

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think if you go back to that short piece of PVC that goes into the elbow, cut and shorten it the reinstall with a coupler the pipes should be straight. You may have to do a bit of trial and error to determine just how much pipe to cut out, but you should be able to get pretty close without too much problem.

samlin7

Reaction score
thanks,
But the reason why i changed it out was because the long piece of the pvc was coming off the wall too much, makes my framing very difficult. I understand if i cut the short piece a little it should come out more aligned, BUT that would make the long pvc pipe come away from the wall more, which defeats the purpose of why i did this in the first place.

I tried putting an elbow near the end closer to the stack, and another street elbow to make a make it line up, but 2 elbows takes up too much room in that tight area and it didn't work. Ideally I need an offset fitting, but don't think they have those

would it kill me if i left it like that or are there other solutions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
alignment

You are like the guy searching for his keys under the light post because he can see better there, even though he dropped them by his car. You want the pipe straight, but do not want to move it where it would be straight. IF you DO NOT want to move the pipe away from the wall to make it straight, then use two 45's to move it CLOSER to the wall and then increase the length of the short piece after the elbow to make it straight.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks