install washer in my garage ??

Users who are viewing this thread

DaddyMikey1975

Reaction score
hi all... first post so go easy on me HAHA..

i have no washing machine or dryer in my house... weird.. i know.. i'm wondering if i can put the washer/dryer in the garage.. the dryer is a no brainer.. there's gas line and 220 not far.. so i can make my choice there.. i can vent the dryer out the side wall into thin air HAHA...

my dilemma is with the washer.. the other side of the wall is the kitchen. the stove/fridge to be exact. 90 degrees to one side is the sink. i can easily get water to the washing machine via some copper in the attic... my dilemma comes from the drain.. where in the world can i tie into the existing drain system. i'm on a slab. the drain under the sink goes through a trap and directly out into the exterior wall.. i can vent the washer through the garage roof, but where can i tie into the drain system ?? the toilet is on the opposite end of the house.. a friend (jokingly) recommended putting a hole in the side of the garage and letting it hit the ground HAHA... that's not acceptable, but it was funny :)

any recommendations ??

thanks a bunch
mike

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Under some or most current codes you are now required to have a 3" line up to the 2" trap for the washing machine. That means cutting some concrete and hoping you know where the line is. Maybe it's possible to run a new 3" line to the outside and tying into your sanitary on your property - alot of digging but minimizes concrete work.

DaddyMikey1975

Reaction score
oh now that's not what i wanted to hear HAHA... i think i'll call a plumber on this one and get some advice HAHA...

thanks a bunch :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Although the code may REQUIRE a 3" drain line, gazillions of washers operate perfectly even though they are connected to 2" drains. So, if 2" is all you have, and that is very likely, the washer will still work once you access it.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
So, just because someone here says their local code requires 3" up to the clothes washer standpipe, doesn't mean you need or even should do it. IMO. You should check on your local code requirement.

I was refering to IPC, which is fully or largely adopted in 35 states. Of course local codes may be different but when location is not given it's just a word of warning.

2007 Florida which is about word for word with IPC:
406.3 Waste connection. The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall discharge through an air break into a standpipe in accordance with Section 802.4 or into a laundry sink. The trap and fixture drain for an automatic clothes washer standpipe shall be a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter. The automatic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter. Automatic clothes washers that discharge by gravity shall be permitted to drain to a waste receptor or an approved trench drain.

and:
FIXTURE TYPE/DRAINAGE FIXTURE UNIT VALUE AS LOAD FACTORS/ MINIMUM SIZE OF TRAP (inches)

Automatic clothes washers, residentialg/ 2 / 2

DaddyMikey1975

Reaction score
all great info.. i'm in washington, IL.. if that helps to look up the plumbing code..

the biggest dilemma for me is how to connect to the main drain line leaving the house, or "could" I go through the kitchen wall, make a 90 degree bend, and tie in behind the kitchen sink ?? i have no basement, i'm on a slab.. this is the part that sucks HAHA..

thanks for the help.

mike

DaddyMikey1975

Reaction score
this is a basic idea of what i'm wondering.. i'd like to put the washer in the garage where indicated. the sink drain goes through a trap and out into the exterior wall.. i could tap into it, etc.. just wondering if that's "allowed" HAHA...

i could come in behind the stove and follow the interior wall back and around under the sink and tie into it... (obviously i'd have to come in above the 'level' of the sink drain, so that the washer would drain)

this is the best type of pic i could make with 'paint' haha

Attachments

• washer.jpg
    washer.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 2,385

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Somewhere, the sewer leaves the house and runs to the main sewer line (often at the street, but not necessarily). It may be easier to run the drain line out of the house to somewhere in the yard to tap into the sewer line. You won't know until you figure out where that line is. Local codes would dictate how deep the line needs to go, and yours may be deeper than required (to make it to the sewer, which could be quite deep).

It is somewhat unlikely that the kitchen sink drain is large enough to support the washing machine. SOmeone earlier had said the kitchen group can't support a washing machine by code...could you make it work? Probably, but may not work well that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks