(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dehumidifier Drain Line

Default Dehumidifier Drain Line

I'm trying to connect a drain hose from my dehumidifier to the drain pipe under the sink. Here's a photo and a drawing (with measurements) of what it looks like currently under the sink.

I'm a total beginner at plumbing, so appreciate any help. I've searched this forum, and others, looking for someone doing something similar. The closest I can find is installing a dishwasher, where people add a tailpiece with a branch in it to connect the dishwasher drain hose. So that's what I'm trying to do, but I have a couple of questions.

Q1. Can I add an extra tailpiece with a branch in it, between A & B? Obviously I would need to add a corresponding length between B & C, making the P Trap lower. I have the clearance, but does this cause a problem with drainage?

Q2. If I can't do that, can I replace the existing tailpiece with one that has both a branch to connect the dehumidifier hose and a pop-up linkage? Will that involve replacing the existing sink drain?

Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks.

Alex

Default branch

You need a 1 1/4" threaded branch tailpiece. But unless the dehudifier has a pump or is higher than the sink it will not drain, AND the sink water WILL drain into the humidifier.

Thanks. I plan to put the dehumidifer on a counter at the same height as the sink counter.

So should I replace the existing tailpiece with a 1 1/4" threaded branch tailpiece, or can I just add that between A & B?

If I have to replace the existing one can I get one with a pop-up sink drain as well as the branch?

Alex

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

It's gonna be tight, real tight but you just might be able to sandwich a branch tailpiece in there but yeah that is the way to go about it. It would be between A and B. Man thats going to be tight.
    I just post cuz I like to see my avatar.

a threaded branch tailpiece will fit in there no problem

Default tailpiece

The threaded tailpiece REPLACES part A, and screws into the popup drain assembly.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terms. The existing copper tailpiece (A) shown in the photo is a single unit with a lever going in the side which raises and lowers the drain plug. If I replace that with a branch tailpiece then I wouldn't have a plug. There's no separate drain assembly into which I could screw something.

I visited Lowes today. The advice I got there was that this wasn't possible and I'd need to get a plumber to run another drain line. The gentleman also corrected me that this is not a sink, but a lavatory, because it's a sink in a bathroom.

I visited ACE and he suggested I could cut down the copper tailpiece (A) and insert a cut down 1 1/2" PVC tailpiece between A and B. But he said it would be real tight and I ought to measure carefully. So I'm about to make some more measurements of that and see whether it looks possible.

It looks like even cutting the copper tailpiece and the branch tailpiece down as much as possible, I still don't have enough room.

Is there a different kind of sink drain assembly I can get which would work in a bathroom and give me space underneath to fit a branch tailpiece?

Default drain

YOU ARE MISTAKEN. Part A unscrews from the popup unit and then the new branch tailpiece screws in. Quit arguing with us and do what we told you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    YOU ARE MISTAKEN. Part A unscrews from the popup unit and then the new branch tailpiece screws in. Quit arguing with us and do what we told you to do.
    I don't think you two guys are speaking the same language.

Amchap, what you're calling part A is a couple of pieces -- the part with the popup (and the nuts, etc. above it), plus a thinwall brass (with very fine threads) screwed into the bottom of it. It's the latter piece that HJ wants you to get rid of and find a new brass piece (plastic can't handle the fine threads) with a DW inlet to replace it.

From the photo with the new piece held up next to the existing, it doesn't look like you have quite enough room to do otherwise, like the patch job that the plastic would require.

Quote Originally Posted by TedL View Post
    what you're calling part A is a couple of pieces
    Thank you, TedL. That was what I didn't understand. Sorry if it was obvious to everyone else.

Neither the local Lowes nor ACE Hardware have a 1 1/4" threaded branched tailpiece. Is this online product the sort of thing that I need? Should I buy an 8" and cut it down, or will I be able to find a ~4" one if I shop around?

Is that the sort of thing I'll likely need to order online? I'm in Beech Mountain, NC and I've no idea where else I could go for something like this.

Illinois Licensed Plumber SewerRatz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by amchap View Post
    Thank you, TedL. That was what I didn't understand. Sorry if it was obvious to everyone else.

Neither the local Lowes nor ACE Hardware have a 1 1/4" threaded branched tailpiece. Is this online product the sort of thing that I need? Should I buy an 8" and cut it down, or will I be able to find a ~4" one if I shop around?

Is that the sort of thing I'll likely need to order online? I'm in Beech Mountain, NC and I've no idea where else I could go for something like this.
    You buy the 8" one and cut it to size.

Default piece

WE were talking the same language, but he was fixated on the drain being a one piece component and was not acepting that it could be unscrewed. They will only come in one length, so you cut it to fit.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    WE were talking the same language, but he was fixated on the drain being a one piece component and was not acepting that it could be unscrewed.
    I wasn't "fixated" I simply didn't understand from anything that had been said prior to TedL that the unit was not a single piece. Without that knowledge the suggestions to "unscrew" it could only be read to mean unscrewing the whole unit from the sink. And FYI, neither the guy at Lowes nor the guy at ACE - looking at the same photo as everyone here - realized that either.

Quote Originally Posted by hj
    Quit arguing with us and do what we told you to do.
    I appreciate the help, but not the tone. Since you're a forum moderator, I assume that this is tolerated here, and so in future I'll look for a different forum for plumbing advice.

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter shacko's Avatar

Default Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by amchap View Post
    I wasn't "fixated" I simply didn't understand from anything that had been said prior to TedL that the unit was not a single piece. Without that knowledge the suggestions to "unscrew" it could only be read to mean unscrewing the whole unit from the sink. And FYI, neither the guy at Lowes nor the guy at ACE - looking at the same photo as everyone here - realized that either.

I appreciate the help, but not the tone. Since you're a forum moderator, I assume that this is tolerated here, and so in future I'll look for a different forum for plumbing advice.
    I think you should re-think jumping forums, this is one of the best. As far as the tone is concerned, a lot of people get yelled at here, it usually is said tongue in cheek, hope you stick around.