we've sprung a leak

Users who are viewing this thread

DougandLiz

Reaction score
My husband says we have a leak...

We installed an American Standard Cadet III with the supplied wax gasket (w/flange). At first we noticed no leaking, but after caulking around the base several weeks later, I noticed dampness (drips?) coming from under the toilet. The drip increases when the toilet is flushed.

We lifted the toilet up and noticed that there was really not much water there, but was damp nonetheless. We replaced the wax gasket with another wax gasket (w/flange). Still damp!

Then we replaced it again with a wax seal (w/o flange). Still drips and gets damp!!!

Do we try a thicker wax seal? Is the toilet defective? Any other advice?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like a defective one but with out being there to look it is difficult to say...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Double check up higher at the tank to bowl connection and also the rear of the trapway. On some models they put a "Patch" on the rear of the trapway. Quite often water at the base is dripping from above.

It could very well be a bowl defect. They tend to have more than their fair share of them.

breid1903

Reaction score
if two piece check between bowl and reservoir like redwood suggested..... is it condensation?...... to test set it on a bucket or milk crate in shower. 1 person should be balancing at all time.take small foam toy football plug bottom of stool fill bowl almost full. look under stool with a mirror and light. i've found them that way........ no leaks fill reservoir to almost top. look around.....if no leak pull football and flush stool with reservoir full. keep it full with buckets while holding flush lever down. shine bright light between bowl and reservoir. look for diamonds. if there is water there it will glisten.......give all these tests some time.... sometimes the shut off will have a small leak, same with fill tube. to check take some toilet paper and try each separately............. breid

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the toilet rock? If it does, then the seal won't last. Replace the seal and shim it so it doesn't rock. The wax isn't springy..once you compress it, if the toilet rocks, you'll ruin the seal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks