pump question

Users who are viewing this thread

cooperstone

Reaction score
I installed a new, 1/2 HP SHUR-DRI shallow well pump. The wiring is done to specs. and above. I can run the pump for a while, and then it will just shut off. After a few minutes, it will work again. I am pumping from a pond into a pressure tank.

I think it may be overheating. There is a sign on the pump that say thermally controlled, so I thought maybe it was a safety device of some kind, but the manufacturer does not mention this in the instructions.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any thoughts from the experts?

Thanks.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think Shur Dri is an offshoot of the Myers pump. Similar to the Water Ace. It has a cheap motor on it (the cheapest). Either you have it wired for 230 volts and your feeding it 115 volts. Or, your trying to run it on an extension cord or wiring that is too small to carry the load or both.

Even though they put a junkie motor on these pumps, it should work for a year or so before self destructing. If it doesn't work at all, then it could be a manufacturers defect. Most pumps if they work out of the box, they are going to keep working until planned obsolescence gets to them.

cooperstone

Reaction score
Thanks. My wiring is correct according to manufacturer specs. If I take this one back, what is a name brand you would recommend?

cooperstone

Reaction score
I'm running a 220amp, 30 amp double-pole breaker with #10 wire. The pump will run for an hour or more, cut off for about 20 minutes, and then come back on. I'm almost 100% sure it's not a wiring problem.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I'm running a 220amp, 30 amp double-pole breaker with #10 wire. The pump will run for an hour or more, cut off for about 20 minutes, and then come back on.
Your current draw should then be 2 to 5A at 220v.

First make sure this is not normal behavior-if it's not cutting off due to some pressure setpoint being reached, it sounds like a thermal overload switch cycling inside the motor, but the current draw should give you a clue.

Less likely is that a high resistance bad connection is causing a lower voltage at the motor.

There probably shouldn't be more than a 5% voltage drop from the source end of the wire to the destination (motor) end, at normal current draw.
How long is the wire? 5% of 220v = 11v, and at 5 amps you'd need 1100' (2200' conductor length) of #10 to get this much drop.

Last edited:

cooperstone

Reaction score
We had no voltage drop between the elec. source and the cut-off... but... we found a drop between the cut-off and the pump. Upon further inspection, we found a ground wire that had come loose. After reconnecting the ground wire, we had no voltage drop... of course.

I wouldn't have thought the pump would have worked at all without the ground wire being connected! I hope we didn't burn up the pump. I guess that's why there is a sign on the pump that says "Thermally controlled."

I cannot thank you enough for your help. Without checking the voltage drop, we would have never found the problem.

Thanks again!!

cooperstone

Reaction score
We ran the wire approx. 450'. We have an uninsulated well-house with a metal roof. The temperature today is 105. It's been in the low 100's for the past several days, and no relief in sight. We're in Central Texas, setting heat records.

We don't have a pressure problem. We used 1 1/4" pvc so volume is fine.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
we found a ground wire that had come loose. After reconnecting the ground wire, we had no voltage drop... of course.
I wouldn't have thought the pump would have worked at all without the ground wire being connected!
1 The ground wire is for safety; it shouldn't affect your problem.
2 It shouldn't make any difference.

If your problem has gone away, I have no idea why!:p

cooperstone

Reaction score
Actually, I shouldn't have called it a ground wire. It is actually the the neutral or third wire. There is no "ground" wire.

Speedbump

Reaction score
There is no neutral in a 230 volt single phase hookup. There are two hots. Period. The third wire should be a ground. Either green or bare. It should be connected to the frame of the motor.

The more water the pump is moving the more amps it is pulling. If you deadhead the pump at it's max pressure by shutting off the main valve, the amps will be the same as if the pump weren't connected to the motor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks