Bathtub Not On the Level

Users who are viewing this thread

brattom

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am just getting started on a bath remodel project. I have pulled all of the tiles and drywall off of the wall surrounding the bathtub (down to the studs), and just for the heck of it, put a level on the tub. Turns out the tub is about one inch lower in the front than in the back. What is the best way to fix this? Do I need to detach the tub from the drain? If so, how do you do this? I don't want to pry up the tub and make thing worse!

Some extra info:
There is no access below the tub without cutting out a ceiling.

Since I am replacing the floor, I am not concerned with saving the flooring.

I suspect this was the reason we had some water damage on the walls next the the front corners of the tub.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Tom

Plumguy

Reaction score
I'am suprised at this question! If you have the walls and floors gutted why not replace the tub as opposed to trying to shim the old one level ??

brattom

Reaction score
The bathroom is on the third floor of a townhouse with two tight turns up the stairs, so it seemed to make more sense just to get it refinished than to replace it, since there is nothing really wrong with it. I can't imagine that the leveling problem is specific to the tub, but rather to the floor underneath. However, I haven't had any experience with tubs before, so maybe it is worth the effort.

Thanks,
Tom

Plumguy

Reaction score
The refinishing of tubs has a bad track record! It would be a lot easier to fix the unlevel or floor problem with the tub out of the way. I'm not trying to cause you more work! Just letting you know the best way to appproach it with that much gutting already involved.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks