advice on leaking valve connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

littlehouse

Reaction score
I hired a handyman to change out my kitchen faucet, lines and valves yesterday. After he left, I noticed that the dual output hot water valve is leaking at the connection to the 3/8" copper pipe that goes to the dishwasher. I think it's a compression connection.
Any advice on how to rectify this?
He is coming back to do some other work today, and I really, really need this fixed correctly (my dad has cancer and I need to leave town for several months).
Also, in order to reach the new valve connection, he had to pull some (about 3-4 inches) of the copper pipe out from behind the cabinet. I can't see what's on the other side (i.e.- the connection to the dishwasher, and whether it may have been stretched or compromised). Should I be concerned at all? I ran the dishwasher and so far did not see any leaking, so I hope the connection is still okay. How much extra pipe is usually coiled up behind the cabinets?
Thanks!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Leave the hot water to the kitchen sink/DW off until your handyman returns. The DW has a "kickplate" below that is secured with some screws (usually 4) that will allow you access to see under the DW. Shine a flashlight under there to check for leaks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tubing

There is usually NO extra copper tubing behind the dishwasher, unless the original installer made a little longer turn than necessary, in which case your person could have "straightened" it out a little to get the extra length. But I do not know why he would have had to do that if all he was doing was replacing the valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks