Breaking concrete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My 50 year old concrete stoop is in bad shape. It's 3' high and 48" square at the top. Today I sunk a 7" long masonry bit into it in several places and found nothing but concrete. I'm thinking it might be solid through and through. I need to bust this thing up and get it out of here, along with a 15'x20' concrete slab that is 3-4" thick.

Ideally this might be a good job for a large air compressor and full-sized pneumatic jackhammer. I'm wondering what my other options are? Is an electric jackhammer up to the task? How about a bobcat with a breaker attachment?

The local rental place has all the above options, I'm just not sure which is the most painless and cost-efficient?

Opinions?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
concrete

The Bobcat will be more kidney friendly, and faster, but might cost a lot more. The electric breaker will take forever if it is actually all concrete.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a 3 function hammer-drill that is invaluable for small concrete breaking and hole drilling, but this sound like a job for super breaker. A number of years ago I had to remove concrete steps, and I rented a big jack hammer and compressor. I was overpowered. I ended up hiring a guy with a backhoe and dump truck. He just pulled and rolled the whole thing to the street and into the truck! It gave real meaning to the expression, "Cast in concrete".

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I'd go with the bobcat. The jackhammer will certainly do the job but then you have to deal with moving the concrete to your disposal area/dumpster/neighbors pickup.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have personally spent a lot of quality time with a Hitachi 70lb demo hammer. It'll get the job done (eventually) and maybe do you in as well, but you can't hang a bucket off of it to move and load the debris when your done.

If the stoop is solid, you could always try some non explosive demolition agent :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks