Nail thru pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Here is how 1 Home inspection company recomends fixing an active water leak with out turning off the water...

Fix A Water Pipe Leak
[ Family Circle Archive ]

orangebar.jpg

Plumbing: Water Pipe Leak
By Al Ubell & Label Shulman

From article, “New, Easiest Home-Repair Guide Everâ€
Published September 1, 1981 - Family Circle Magazine

leaky_pipe2.jpg

Into everyone's life some rain must fall, so the poets say. But when the water comes from a pinhole leak in a water pipe, it's hard to look on the bright side. Although a leaky pipe may create a mess, repairing it is one of the easiest of plumbing jobs for the beginner: Why call a plumber, who may charge you $50? You can fix it yourself for pennies!
“Utensils†(Tools):
None
taping_pipe.jpg

“Ingredients†(Materials):
A few round wooden toothpicks, epoxy glue, strips of cloth, 1″ wide, or gauze bandage
Instructions:

1. It's not always necessary to turn off the main water supply to make this repair. Simply locate the pinhole leak and insert the point of a wooden toothpick into the hole, as far as it will go, and leave in place. (In some instances, two or three toothpicks bunched together may be required.) The wood of the toothpicks will swell, and the leak should stop.
  2. Once the leak has stopped, dry the outside of the pipe surrounding the leak.
  3. Break off the excess toothpick(s).
  4. Mix equal parts of epoxy glue (catalyst and resin), following the instructions on the package. Apply the epoxy around the pipe with an extra dab at the leak point.
  5. Take the gauze or cloth strip and wrap it around the pipe like a bandage. Generously apply more epoxy glue around the “bandage.†When the glue dries, your leaky pipe will be permanently fixed.
abi_logo_emblem_sml.gif

That is too funny Cass!

The tips they publish in magazines...
I'm trying to remember if I was charging $50 back then LOL

On a side note a few years back my mom's well PH went low and she started getting pinholes. It was interesting because her pipes were relatively this and I was cutting the pipes right on top of the hole without any crushing then using repair couplings. before the situation got under control with the treatment system I made her a kit of pieces of flat rubber and hose clamps to temporarily patch pinholes until a few were saved up then I would repair them all at once.

It worked!

Thankfully that was 20 years ago and she has been pinhole free along time averting a repipe.

boulder_deb

Reaction score
Only one pack of bubble gum needed by the plumber, which remarkably was not even suggested here!
Looks like I'm ready to go shooting again - found the hot water line too now that the wall is open. Plumber did a great job saving my wall, and doing what seems like a nice, real repair - and gave good advice about the rest of my project. :)

Thanks for all the info and advice - you guys are great too!
Deb

Last edited by a moderator:

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Only one pack of bubble gum needed by the plumber, which remarkably was not even suggested here!
Looks like I'm ready to go shooting again - found the hot water line too now that the wall is open. Plumber did a great job saving my wall, and doing what seems like a nice, real repair - and gave good advice about the rest of my project. :)

Thanks for all the info and advice - you guys are great too!
Deb

Looks good Deb, thanks for posting the second Pic. Its nice to see a problem resolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks