Top plate messed up, need suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ghost999

Reaction score
I have made a stupid mistake of drilling a hole with wrong tool and wrong planning. It is 2 top plates(2*6) stacked together of exterior wall in new construction. The wall is parallel to joists.

My original idea is to put a 2 inch conduit for running speaker wires and HDMI cable. Now I am abandoning the idea of conduit.

From my research my understanding is we can put a max of 40% hole in the middle, the big hole is 2 inch which is in center, but those 2 one inch holes to the side are the mess I did. The diameter of the hole is little less than 3 inch's at the max, but the space better the edges of the top plate is 2 inches to one side and to the other side it is only one inch.. the one inch side is towards exterior wall.

How do I fix this? I am thinking of putting a brace on the top, it will close the hole partially and as I am abandoning the idea of conduit I am fine with it. Is this acceptable? I do not have access to the side of the top plate as one side is exterior, he other side there is wood to hold drywall is in the way... so putting a brace to the side is very hard... is putting a brace on the top restore the strength? If yes please suggest the brace and nails...Any other options?

Please advice. Any suggestion is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

IMG_1330.jpegIMG_1329.jpeg
IMG_1328.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks