Replace underground cast iron?

Users who are viewing this thread

Smith333

Reaction score
I'm going to be tearing out and replacing our patio soon. There is a 4" cast iron line that runs under the patio to the septic tank that services the far end of the house. The cast iron is about 36 years old. Should I use this opportunity to replace the cast iron with PVC? We've never had any problems (back up's, etc) with this line.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
How big is the patio going to be???

Since you have a septic tank the line should not be to deep...so replacement would not be to hard...you might want to run a camera down the line and see what the condition of the line is...what is the distance from the house to the tank??

Do you plan on staying in the home the rest of your life....

Smith333

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

The pipe is about 2-3 feet under the surface, and runs about the entire length of the house (~50 feet). I guess they could have just as easily run it inside the house, but didn't. I'm not complaining, because it made finishing the basement much easier. The patio will cover about 15-20 feet of it.

Back in 1999, we had the electric service replaced, and the backhoe hit this line because I forgot to have it marked. We had a plumber do a PVC patch job and its still working fine. We plan on staying here the duration, so the camera idea is probably a good investment. Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks