Replacing 50yo iron combi wye with PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
I have a rust pinhole in the cast iron sanitary wye that makes the final turn before exiting to my septic tank. I'd like to replace with PVC but I'm concerned I won't be able to fit it in without major surgery. All the piping in this area is fixed in place by a built-in cabinet.

The existing wye is a 4x4x3 no-hub and it's only 6" from the top of the 4" to the open end of the 3". The equivalent PVC fitting--with hubs--is much taller.

What's my approach here?

IMG_20240104_221339.jpg

GReynolds929

Reaction score
For starters your drain can't be reduced like that. It has to remain it's largest size all the way to the septic. Looks like both of those cast combos need replaced.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is probably no direct replacement in pvc that will fit. Your gonna need to buy a new combo in cast iron. There are some no hub pvc fittings, but availability is limited.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks