(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: What water heater for gravity loop?

Default What water heater for gravity loop?

Locally, Rinnai and Noritz are available, and my plumber uses both. This is for new construction.

In the house, we're thinking of installing a gravity loop system with a HW return, and for demand reasons, putting in a small storage tank (there will be occasional times when we need to run two showers and kitchen sink simultaneously). He isn't sure gravity loop will work with either unit. I don't want a pump.

In a separate sm efficiency apartment, we're considering a CW return off a separate tankless unit, as that could prevent pipe freezeups in the winter?

Anyone had experience with RedyTemp, ReadyHot, Red Lobster for either or both of these applications?

Feedback appreciated. Installation is in upper NY State.
    Thank you, Mark

Default heater

Gravity recirulation systems DO NOT work with tankless heaters. It will work with the 6 gallon heater, IF it is installed correctly.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I've had a RedyTemp installed for about 5-years and it works fine. I have it on a 7-day timer so it only runs when I'm normally both home and awake.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014