Help with circulator / parts for indirect water heater loop

Users who are viewing this thread

Teratini

Reaction score
I'd like to validate the parts selection for a DHW heating loop that we're adding to the radiant system. The radiant system has worked well for the past dozen years. It uses a differential pressure bypass to maintain flow instead of primary secondary piping.

I'd prefer to minimize changes, so I'm planning to add a separate DHW loop and use DHW priority. Because only one circulator runs at a time, flow should be consistent during either DHW or radiant heating.

Existing radiant system:
5oAizG2.png

Add new DHW heating loop by tapping (S) and (R).
Tz9vJM7.png

The parts to work with Lochinvar KBN-150 (135k BTU output) boiler:

Water heater: Lochinvar Squire SIT040 (Low resistance + KBN-150 integration)
DHW circulator: Grundfos UPS 26-99FC
Flow check for radiant return (R): Webstone H-10754W
Thermostatic mixing valve (S): Caleffi 521516A

My calculations are:

DHW loop pressure loss is 14.6@10 gpm, 17.44@12gps, 20@13 gpm ft head
(SIT040 water heater = 2.6 / 3.44 / 4 ft head @ 10 / 12 / 13 gpm
KBN-150 boiler + 20’ 1" pipes + 4 elbows + 2 valves = 12 / 14 / 16 ft head @ 10 / 12 / 13 gpm)

My main questions are:

1. Does the Grundfos UPS 26-99FC seem like a reasonable choice? For the indirect Squire SIT040, that should yield 12 gpm which makes use of the 135k btu output of the boiler.

2. I want to ensure 180F water will never flow into the radiant floor system, so I'm thinking about adding a thermostatic mixer at (S). I know the boiler will automatically reduce temperature to 125F during radiant heating, so am I being paranoid?

Plus, the mixer will likely reduce efficency of the radiant loop by 5-8 ft head...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks