Installing Natural gas post BBQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Cpeters

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm going to replace the 20 year old gas grill i put in 20+ years ago.
I ran 3/8" copper underground to the grill and have a compression fitting after the gas cock.
1. I heard compression on gas is a no no. So I'll go to a flare fitting.
2. I'm hearing copper isn't any good either. What's an alternative?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the BTU rating of the grill (newer ones often are (much) higher than the older ones and the distance, that size pipe may not cut it at all. Not sure what the best pipe to use is. Most of the better ones are only sold to pros because you need special training and tools to make the connections.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I used 1/2" black iron pipe that ties into existing black iron in my basement. I have a set of pipe dies, so I was able to do the pipe work myself, but hardware stores will cut and thread pipe pretty cheap. If you plan your work, you can use precut lengths so extra cutting and threading can be minimized. I put a ball valve where I teed off of the house service pipe and a smaller gas valve one each end just before the quick couplers just for added safety. I put in two outlets, one on the deck for good weather and one in the breezeway for bad weather and winter. My sealant of choice is pipe dope, not Teflon tape, but if you do want to use tape, get the yellow kind that is made for gas. Test your joints carefully with liquid dish soap.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
gas

You could NEVER legally bury black pipe. Even galvanized would have to be wrapped with a protective coating. The 3/8 copper is usually only adequate as the final connection from the larger gas pipe to the BBQ.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My grill wants a 3/4" supply pipe...3/8" would starve it radically...you really need to check the user manual for the grill, or, using the BTU and distance plus fittings, determine what size is required.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Our local gas provider will not allow galvainized pipe,do to possible flaking
of the zinc coating could possibly stop up the controls on a fixture.

Xroad

Reaction score
Should a homeowner DIY gas piping?
I'd say the risks outweigh any benefit...

I respectfully disagree. That is a very broad general statement. There are plenty of cases of gas line project is simple and low risk. There was a "T" at one of the gas line and I used that "T" to run another line to the location of my dryer. Nothing more than precut/prethread black pipes, gas valve, teflon tapes and the flexible gas hose to the dryer.

Running the pipe underground I would not do. I agree with that.

MaintenanceMan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I respectfully disagree. That is a very broad general statement. There are plenty of cases of gas line project is simple and low risk. There was a "T" at one of the gas line and I used that "T" to run another line to the location of my dryer. Nothing more than precut/prethread black pipes, gas valve, teflon tapes and the flexible gas hose to the dryer.

What color teflon tape? White??? Yellow is supposedly acceptable, but I personally find only teflon tape on gas line unacceptable.

Did you install a drip leg?

I'm certainly not anti DIY, but it's not hard to screw up even an "easy" gas line job sometimes. In some cases what you don't know CAN hurt you.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Use the best and forget the rest...

t_gasoila.png

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com

As many DIY hack jobs I've seen where dangerous situations were created as a result of someone taking to task the "thinking" that it's attainable,

I beg to differ. Just because one out of a hundred do it right, there's 99 of them that put not only themselves but others in grave danger.

DIY gas line jobs are why insurance companies have a job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks