gas shut off valve

Users who are viewing this thread

King3244

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am doing some re running of water lines and I want to replace my old water shut off with a ball valve. I picked one up and now as I was screwing in the fittings I noticed that it said "for gas". Can I use it as a water shut off?? :eek:

If possible I need answers fast as I am sitting here with no water and it is a long way to town to pick up a new valve.

Thanks, King

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know for sure...I'd go get a valve designed for water. Natural gas often only has 1/2# of pressure; your water could have over 100# on occasion, plus, they may use different seals. Might work, might not, I'd not take the chance, but then I'm not a pro either...

King3244

Reaction score
Jim,

Thanks for the input............I ended up going to a gas fitter and found out this little tid bit of info. On the valve handle will be imprinted wog...........which........ gee stands for water, oil, gas or it will be og (oil, gas) which my was so as you recommended I went and got the proper one.

King

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The valve you need will be rated WOG ( water oil gas: meaning compressed gas but not necessarily FUEL gas.)

If you got a fuel gas valve with an AGA approval, it is probably not a full port valve, so would not be ideal for water. Not sure of the pressure rating on them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks