Need New Toilet - but pipe issue

Users who are viewing this thread

jksea

Reaction score
Our condo did a complete redo of all building water pipes and the new pipes for the bathroom vanity run along the baseboard behind the toilet. The pipe enclosure is a box that extends 3" out from the wall and 3" up from the floor. I'm having trouble finding a new toilet whose base (footprint) allows for this. Most toilets I've found have a base that comes as close to the wall as the tank or within an inch or two. So, sadly, no Toto Drake for me. The two older toilets I have, an American Standard and a Kohler, each have bases that sit about 6" from the wall, but apparently this isn't done anymore? Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You could check the spec sheets for different toilets but I suspect they will all go closer to the wall than the older design toilets...
One of the design changes that make them flush better.

You may have to go with a 10" rough in toilet to get the clearance you need. You may also want to build a box behind the toilet to fill the gap between the tank and the wall.

Last edited:

TedL

Reaction score
That box sounds oversize for a couple of 1/2" pipes, perhaps allowing you to replace it with something smaller.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks