Toilet ring Plumber Putty, radiant floor

Users who are viewing this thread

chadWayUpNort

Reaction score
Hi All -

My local plumber recommended i use plumber's putty to set my new toilet in the basement (Slab on Grade) - due to having recently poured the cement with pex radiant tubing in it. His reasoning is if we ever get the floor too hot, if the pipes are too close to the close flange, etc, it could melt the wax ring. PP will prevet this.

Is this sound? Is it doable?

thanks for any input!

Chad

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd opt for a waxless seal. But, unless the pex run is really close to the flange, it shouldn't be an issue...you normally don't run the water temp higher than say 120-degrees, and at that point, the wax won't melt. If your water temp is higher than that, your floow wouldn't be comfortable either. A radiant system has a long response time...and except in the coldest days, normally wouldn't run hot anyways. It can take days to initially bring a big slab up to temp, depending on the thickness, insulation, and water temp. Once there, it's mostly how much insulation you have.

chadWayUpNort

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, the heat pipes are within 4 inches, I'd say. And given that it does take a while to heat up, if we accidently got it too hot, I suppose it'd take awhile to cool down :D

I will check into the waxless... I'm using a cadet 3 - any reason that wouldn't work?

Thank you all!

Chad

PS - I like the idea that i can remove it / reinstall it if need be, as my cement floor will need another coat of sealant in a few weeks time.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There are two (at least) companies that make waxless toilet seals: Fernco, and Fluidmaster. Either should work...HD sells the Fluidmaster.

fluidmaster_on_toilet.jpg

If you use the Fluidmaster waxless seal, push it onto the bottom of the bowl first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Non-drying or not, wax won't dry out...not sure about putty...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks