Old AS Cadet repair

Users who are viewing this thread

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had to replace a wax ring on my toilet and had to remove the tank to remove the toilet. While in there, I noticed that the old black flapper thingy (sorry, I don't know the proper name) was nasty and cracking. When I was at the box store shopping for new seal between bowl and tank I picked up a new red flapper thingy and popped it on. Well, ever since the toilet handle needs to be jiggled/tapped after each flush in order for it to properly close the tank opening. It's annoying and my wife is not as skilled in tapping/jiggling as I am :D Is there some sort of adjustment I can do to fix that?

Thanks!

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
How tight is the chain¿ It should have a bit of slack so that the flapper closes all the way but is taut enough when you go to flush you get the necessary amount of water leaving the bowl.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
How tight is the chain¿ It should have a bit of slack so that the flapper closes all the way but is taut enough when you go to flush you get the necessary amount of water leaving the bowl.

There should be a link or two of slack. Kingsotall beat me to the punch on this one. Another thing is what brand red flapper did you buy? if it is FluidMaster take it back. go with a Korky flapper.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
It is a Fluidmaster. I didn't adjust the chain from the old flapper as it looked pretty much the same. I think the new one is a little thinner, which means the chain is a bit long, right? I just shortened it by 2 links....we'll see what it does. If this works, I am going to leave it as is as I already have a new Toto waiting for this bathroom remodel to start once the master is finished.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
One other note. if your tank uses the hinges on the side cut of the round circle between the hinge points. I have seen many people slide the round part over the overflow and attach the hinge points. The round part is for the old lift wite and ball flushvalves.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flapper

You do not have a flapper, you have a tilt flush. If that disc is not perfect it will never seal. For that unit the only one I use are black OEM American Standard ones.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Ah, I was right when I called it a flapper thingy! Where does one get the OEM part?

Looks like Korky has three options.

American Standard® Combo Seat Disc
p/n: 421BP
American Standard® Snap-on Seat Disc
p/n: 422BP
American Standard®
Screw-on Seat Disc
p/n: 423BP

I am not sure if local box stores have it or not.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
So, I called Korky and they said the part is very uncommon and it's unlikely I will find it at a local store, so they are just going to send me one. Free. For never having done any business with them, I am impressed. I realize it doesn't cost much, but still. Nicely done! Hope it works :)

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Ahh the tilt flush American standard had a few different size options as well. It was the distance where the flush disk mounted to the actuator and where it hinged at. If I recall the shorter one is for the two piece water closet.

BimmerRacer

Reaction score
Korky did in fact send the disk. Actually, a whole box of them. I think 50? :D What's funny is that the fluidmaster one started working. Maybe it needed to acclimate to the environment :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks