How many wax rings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Netty

Reaction score
We've redone our bathroom floor and had it tiled. The closet flange sits flush with the floor, not above it or on it as I see now it should have been. Those of you that have installed the toto drake - how many wax rings would you recommend? We've used one - and it seemed to 'squish' a bit - but never having installed a toilet before we're wondering if we should lift it off and try putting the second ring on too?

Netty

Reaction score
Thought I'd post my results - we lifted the toilet and had barely any 'contact' in one spot - so used another wax ring on top of that - felt a good 'squish' that time.
Appologies for posting in wrong forum...realized there was one specifically for toilets after my post...
Jackie.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
We use two most of the time.

If the flange is setting on the finished floor, you can use one wax ring.
If the flange is on the subfloor, and the underlayment has been cut around the flange, you need one regular wax ring first, then you can drop a second ring down. We normally use a wax ring with horn as the upper wax.

Then drop the bowl down on the wax, have two door shims handy in case the floor is not level and shim at the back, pinning the front of the bowl down to the floor.

Plumbers will use closet bolt sets with four nuts and four washers.
We secure the closet bolt to the flange before the bowl is set.
This way that bolt doesn't fall down while positioning the bowl and does not slip out while cutting or trimming the bolt so the bolt cap can be installed.
There is nothing worse then having to pull a bowl filled with water because of a "slipped bolt".

Plumbers do not put wax rings on bowls, plumbers put the wax on the floor, and then drop the bowl down.
The picture on the box can create many problems when the wax falls off and blocks the drain hole.

install_kit.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks