sweating chrome valve

Users who are viewing this thread

daveydo

Reaction score
Hello all

Has anyone any experience with sweating this type of Valve (DAHL Brothers Canada Ltd.). I'm having a heck of a time trying to remove the seat nut. I'm afraid I may cook the seals if I try to sweat it without removing them first.

Attachments

• dahl valve problem.jpg
    dahl valve problem.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 570

Dahlman

VP at Dahl Brothers Canada Limited
Reaction score
Website
www.dahlvalve.com
Hello all

Has anyone any experience with sweating this type of Valve (DAHL Brothers Canada Ltd.). I'm having a heck of a time trying to remove the seat nut. I'm afraid I may cook the seals if I try to sweat it without removing them first.

Daveydo,

Don't try to dismantle that valve! :eek:

You will void the warranty. Just leave it in the open position when soldering and it will be fine. Trust me. I'll PM you now.

Cheers,
Dahlman

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Guess I am a masochist, I prefer the sweat on valves. They do prove a challenge in sweating them on close to a wall, but with care and the right tools anything can be done and look good.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
That is when I bust out the electric soldering system. I have the one that works with my pipe thawer. Works great on removing valves as well as sweating up two two inch pipe. The one pictured below is Ridged's version that can soft solder up to 3" pipe.
RT175_Soldering_Gun_3C.jpg

daveydo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the input but I perfer a sweated valve if possible.

Usuallly, I remove the stem, plug the pipe with bread & use a pencil flame torch, & watch how I orient the flame. .

When it comes to replacing them, I cut the pipe back, sand the surface, treat it to a heated bath of paste to clean out any pits that may have developed on the surface over time, & I'm good to go.

If it can't be cut, I'll sweat off the old valve, do the paste bath while rubbing vigorously with steelwool , pits again you know, bread in the hole again , & again good to go.

By the way old pipe? plenty of paste & elbow grease

If that doesn't work it's time for new pipe cause even a compression valve will probably crush it.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Kingsotall, you be amazed at all the junk.. erm tools I have. Acquired them over the years. My father and I can never pass up some one selling off tools.

He had a request by an apartment complex that we use this new jet-rodder they read about. He looked into the cost it was 12K at the time. He had them sign a contract having him jet-rod their lines every 6 months and he charged them a $200 rod charge each time till it was paid for. So 30 months later we dropped the rod charge and kept doing the work for another 3 years till they finally came out with portable jetters and the apartment complex bought their own. It was by National was a monster of a machine had 1" stainless steal cable with a rubber hose fed through as the inner core, and the cutter fit over the male threads of the hose and the jetter nozzle held the cutter in place. there was a twin piston pump just like the old Mustang jetters used attached to the back of the the drum which supplied a whole 800PSI. Marco makes one now. http://www.marcosnakes.com/jetforce.htm

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks