Forgot to put nuts on flange screws...

Users who are viewing this thread

newbie1

Reaction score
I finished installing our Toto Aquia III last night, but I forgot to put the nuts on the flange bolts on each side of the wax ring (hope I'm explaining that right).

Is this a big problem, considering the Aquia is held firmly in place by the mounting brackets... or do I need to to take off the entire toilet just to put those little nuts on.

I don't detect any leaks (after tightening the screws from the tank to the bowl), so I think (hope!) it's ok.

Thanks for your help!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those nuts are just to hold the flange bolts upright and make setting the toilet over them easier for you. They serve no other purpose.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
aquia_adapter.jpg

The Aquia III uses the flange on the right.
It is secured to the floor flange with standard closet bolts not shown in this picture.
It needs to be secured to the floor with these.
Pull the bowl and get those bolts in there.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My bad:eek: I forgot the Aquia has a different mounting system and gave you bad information. Thanks Terry for setting me and Newbie 1 straight.

newbie1

Reaction score
aquia_adapter.jpg

The Aquia III uses the flange on the right.
It is secured to the floor flange with standard closet bolts not shown in this picture.
It needs to be secured to the floor with these.
Pull the bowl and get those bolts in there.

Thanks Terry. Am I going to need to get new mounting brackets... I already screw a whole through them and am concerned if they are ruined?

Or... do I just take off the toilet, but on the bolts, and put it right back on with all the same parts?

Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming the bolts are installed in the flange and you just forgot to put the nuts and washers on, just remove the toilet, put the nuts and washers on, then reinstall the toilet. If you needed to remove the part on the floor over the flange, you'd need a new wax ring, but you're not compromising anything by removing the toilet and replacing if that is left in place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks