(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How deep are gas lines buried?

posts, emails and comments from readers reposted by Terry

Default How deep are gas lines buried?

Terry, I am desperate, my family and I have been without a hot water heater for nearly a week now. I wanted to do the right thing and go green. I purchased a tankless unit and had it installed it went well until time to hook up the propane. I need a new line from my tank to the house with regulators at my furnace and the new hot water heater. I under stand what is needed but I cannot for the life of me find what is the code for the depth I will need to bury the line underground. I live out side of Atlanta GA. Do you know the code or where I could find it?

Thanks for the advice Cathy

If it's propane you are going to have to have the gas company perform that work.

Default propane

The code for almost any area is that you need a licensed plumber to do it. In addition, the piping material is also specified in the code as are the parameters as to how it MUST be installed. Most legal materials are not sold to anyone buy a registered installer for that material. You can get away with cobbling a natural gas line because if it leaks outdoors, it will float upwards and just leave an odor behind. If propane leaks it will stay in the vicinity WITH the odor until something ignites it, VIOLENTLY.

"I wanted to do the right thing and go green. I purchased a tankless unit"

Wow, you sure swallowed the leftmedia's green obsession, haven't you?