(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathtub not Centered

Default Bathtub not Centered

I had a bathtub installed yesterday and realized after the plumber left that it wasn't centered properly. The bathtub sits in an alcove and it is a little wider than the previous tub was. The way it sits now there isn't much room next to the wall. Is there anything I can do? I haven't paid the plumber for the work he did yet.

Last edited by Terry; 12-11-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Do you have a written contract with the plumber that details how the installation was to be? If so, you can require that the job be redone according to specs. If you do not have a written agreement, then it's a crapshoot.

I do have a written contract, but it doesn't go into detail. It just says install bathtub and fixtures. Do I have any hope?

Terry,

Good idea......I will post a photo of the tub when I get home today so that it is more clear.

Default tub

We have no idea what you mean by "centered" especially when you say the new tub is wider than the old one. Is this a deck mounted tub with space between it and the walls on three sides?

Here is a photo of the tub. I will post more if it helps to explain how it has been installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

So, is it that the filler is not centered on the end of the tub? Was that piping replaced by the same plumber, or was it there from the old one? It will work fine, if you paid him to install the tub (drain, overflow), but not a new valve he left it where it was (from apparantly a narrower tub). So, you still haven't described what the problem is and it's not evident from the picture.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

He replaced the pipes and the valve. Attached is another photo. I am sure that it is installed properly. The problem is whether or not it will look off center when it is finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Normally the shower head, valve and tub spout should line up with the tub drain not the over flow unless the drain is off set...
    Last edited by Cass; 12-11-2008 at 01:36 AM.

The tub filler spout pipe should be centered on the tub drain. If it's not then the plumber needs to come back out and move it. It will still work but look like crap.

I teach guitar:You call that a job? Howard Emerson's Avatar

I noticed that your CI tub does not have a tile lip, correct, and it does appear that you have a shower head involved in this tub, right?

Some companies have tiling flanges that 'clip on' so as to 'prevent' water from leaking over the shoulders. Not always the best solution.

Make very, very sure that this issue is addressed by whoever is doing the work.

HE

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
    I noticed that your CI tub does not have a tile lip, correct, and it does appear that you have a shower head involved in this tub, right?

Some companies have tiling flanges that 'clip on' so as to 'prevent' water from leaking over the shoulders. Not always the best solution.

Make very, very sure that this issue is addressed by whoever is doing the work.

HE
    Looks like a potential leaker to me!

Looks like a Claw foot tub. Definitely does not belong where it is now.

I teach guitar:You call that a job? Howard Emerson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brownizs View Post
    Looks like a Claw foot tub. Definitely does not belong where it is now.
    Except that most 'claw foot' tubs are glazed on the outside as well, and this certainly appears to be raw cast iron.

You're just seeing the legs, which most have.

HE

Think this tub was designed to be set into a deck?
    "Dude, we can fix that. My old man is a TV repairman, he's got the ultimate set of tools!" --Jeff Spicoli

http://web.me.com/greg.saulsbury/ChosatongaSpeaks