(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insulating Basement Walls

you might consider using paperless sheetrock. It's mold resistant and won't break down if it gets wet like ordinary sheetrock.
    Gabe

Don't follow my advice, I only know a thing or two about a thing or two.

Default styrofoam for insulating walls

My basement currently have 2x4's framed around. I just stripped off the the old wood paneling and noticed some efflorescence and some damp/wet areas on the wall. Nothing pooling or substantial.

I want to refinish the wall, and add insulation.

I was looking to clean off the efflorescence and put something on the walls to resist water (don't know what yet).

But in insulating the wall (interior), should i go with something like DOW Blue Styrofoam or anything Styrofoam, I don't want to use foam as I am a bit apprehensive either doing it myself, or the price of paying somebody to do it.

Download & read the linked articles in post #7.

Short answer: yes on the blue.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Default Wet basement

I have a business doing residential carpet cleaning and water damage cleanup. From my research on flood damage control the following procedures will work in most situations.

I'm currently redoing my basement due to a flood a couple years ago. My sump pump failed and ended up with 10 inches of water.

As a result of this flood and some other leaky areas in the walls I decided to gut my basement. It is an old house and the basement is in good condition. Just has some cracks where water leaked in during heavy rains and during spring snow thaws.

I'm sealing the cracks and then haveing spray foam applied. I'm leaving the stud wall approximately 1/2 inch away from the block wall. The spray foam is approved for stopping low levels of moisture. I will be sheetrocking with moisture and mold resistant sheetrock. It costs a little more but also more durable.

At the bottom of the sheetrock I am leaving about 3 inches up from the floor. This will greatly add in drying any moisture from the walls. For baseboard I will be using a commercial style plastic base which is glued on. It can easily be removed in case of a flood. With the spray foam which is water proof and sprayed onto the studds the wood will get miminum water absorption and with the water resistant sheet rock will greatly reduce the amount of drying time when it does get wet.

Short of many feet of water or sewage backup this should work well. Even with feet of water or sewage the spray foam can be cleaned off and the walls resheeetrocked. And with the foam sprayed on the sides of the studs they can be dried out in place and reused.

As for your floor I'd leave it alone. Just don't put down any kind of permanent flooring. A loose carpet that can be pulled up or large area rugs will work just fine. There are also some types of cusioned flooring out there that can be laid down where the edges snap together. They can easily be pulled up in a wet situatation, dried, cleaned and reused. Check the flooring depts of your local home improvement stores.