Purchasing A New Pump Help

Users who are viewing this thread

ottobord

Reaction score
I need a new pump and need some help. My well is 475 feet deep. A plumber wants to sell me a Goulds 1 HP 7 GPM 2 Wire Submerisble Pump model # 7GS10422. Are there any pumps at similar quality for less? also **** has a couple 1 HP 2 wire pumps that are 25GPM. Can a 25 GPM pump be used in my well? Finally what gauge wire do I need for the pump, he also said I need that?

Thanks, John

drillmaster

Reaction score
What size pump was in your well?

It would be wise to stay with the size that was in there because of the fact it is a very deep well and the pump should have been sized for the lift rate and the recovery rate of your well.

If you go with too big of a pump it could pump your well dry and wreck the new pump.

Just my 2 cents.

ottobord

Reaction score
Hello,

The old one is an 7EH10422 which he would replace with a GOulds 7GS10422 1 HP 7 GPM pump for $1143. I have already found it much less other places. I guess what I'm asking is is that the only pump that will work in my well. Can I use 25GPM pump in there?

drillmaster

Reaction score
I personally would not put that 25 gpm pump in without knowing the recovery rate of your well.

Put in simple terms of "What You Pay For Is What You Get". By going with some cheap off market brand may come back to haunt you in the long run.

ottobord

Reaction score
Drillmaster,

Thanks I think I understand the way they work now. One final question the pump is pulled already, am I biting off more then I can chew if I try to install this myself. I figure with 2 or 3 guys we can lower this down. Is it doable, I have average mechanical ability.

John

drillmaster

Reaction score
Not too difficult just make sure connections are tight and secure as that is what holds the pump. Also watch the wire so it dosent get scraped and bare the wire.

Good luck.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Drillmaster,

Thanks I think I understand the way they work now. One final question the pump is pulled already, am I biting off more then I can chew if I try to install this myself. I figure with 2 or 3 guys we can lower this down. Is it doable, I have average mechanical ability.

John
You size a pump based on the total dynamic 'head' o your system including the max pressure setting of the switch and then the peak demand gpm flow rate needed for the house and then you find the horses to get the job done. That 25 gpm pump may be ok until you draw the well down some and then it may not be able to keep up with demand. You need the pump's chart to determine the max depth of water in the well that the pump can be used for. The 7 gpm will probably deliver more water from a deeper depth. For 25 gpm, you may need a 2.5 hp and that pump would probably be too large.

You shouldn't need new cable unless you go a larger hp pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure why your dealing with a Plumber for a well problem.

If you have a 7 gpm pump now, a 25 gpm will certainly not work. It would never shut off. I am assuming the pump was originally sized correctly.

If you can use shrink tubing and sta-kon connectors along with taping the wire to the pipe every ten feet, you can put the pump in yourself. Run it on the ground at the well before hooking it to your home. The water will be nasty for a while.

I can save you some money on a new Submersible Pump if your looking for a better deal. I'm not trying to get rich on one sale like some folks out there. My 5 gpm 1hp is $574.56. If I were installing it, the price would be far higher, but to sell it outright, I discount it a bunch.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:

ottobord

Reaction score
Thanks for your help guys,

One final question, the AWG wire is in question, my old pump is I believe a 1HP pump and has 12 AWG wire. It worked for 20 years. The installer said I need 10 AWG. Going by the chart the maximum feet for 12AWG and 1HP is 400. My well is probably over that but close to 400. What do you think do I switch to 10AWG.

Thanks, John

Speedbump

Reaction score
If the length is going to be near 400 feet, go with the 12. The motor manufacturers naturally want to be very conservative with their wire sizes, so if you go over their footage by a few feet, it's no big deal.

We do always change wire when a pump is switched out. It's just cheap insurance.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks