(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Similar Odd Power Outage problem too....

Hybrid View

Default Similar Odd Power Outage problem too....

I have a similar odd power outage problem as well. Certain times of the day I have lost power to certain areas/rooms of my house but not the entire house. The power would be lost for a few seconds and then return. The longest has been like maybe 45 seconds but not over a minute. My bedroom loses all power (outlets and ceiling fans), second bedroom only the outlets lose power, home office only the outlet where my fax is connected to, living room wall outlet and ceiling fan outlet but not the outlet where my tv is hooked up and finally in the second bathroom all of the power is lost.

My dining room area is ok as well as my kitchen and main bathroom. ANY suggestions????

BTW an electrician came out and tightened some loose wires in the breaker box, which do not get tripped. I dont think he checked all of the outlets also.

Keep track of where you are losing power and where you are not losing power. In addition to the problems mentioned in the other thread, you could have a "subpanel" which also has loose connection(s).

Then also try calling the electric company and have them check their end, then call the electrician back and let him know what specific rooms are having problems. This would help track down which specific "leg" is having the problem.

When I had the last outage I checked every outlet to see which had power and which did not and wrote them down. Come to think of it he checked the breaker and some of the power switches (not all) and maybe 2 of the 9 outlets that would be affected so he did a half assed check on that. I still have my home warranty and going to call them again and tell them that it is still giving me problems and to send someone else.

You might find that the circuits which lost power just so happen to be "every other" breaker in your panel!

P.S. You would be a "dream" customer to have!

I like it when someone can give me a detailed rundown of what is happening including which specific circuits are having trouble.

As a rule, these things work just fine when I walk in the door.

So very helpful to have the information to track down the problem.

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

I once had a similar problem, and a bad contact between the main breaker and a corroded bar in the panel was the problem. At first, some lights would occasionally flicker, then half the panel eventually lost power altogether and the home warranty folks paid to have the entire panel and all the breakers replaced. If an electrician has yet to actually pull breakers out and check behind them, you definitely should have that done.