(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Screw in Waste Pipe

Default Screw in Waste Pipe

Hello:

I need some advice. I was installing shelves in a closet and while driving a screw realized from the feel of it that it was not going into a stud but rather a verical PVC waste pipe from the bathroom upstairs ( I remembered the pipe being there after the fact). It is not leaking, but the question is, should I repair it now? I did a search for similar problems but all seemed to recommend a coupler. It is a large pipe (probably 3.5 inch) with no clearance behind the drywall, so I'm not sure how a coupler would work out. As I am not a plumber, just a DIYer, any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

The pipe would probably be 3"ID pipe or possibly 4"ID

The way I usually take care of these is to get a slip coupling, cut a section out of it as shown below, then prime and glue it up, snap it on turn it a bit to get a good bond then hold it tight for a bit.

Your wall clearance sounds like it may be a problem.

Flagstaff, AZ Sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket next to the GO 68HD

If this is a hack fix then shoot it down...
    Would a section of a fernco coupling, enough to create a tight seal and then the hose clamps tightened down do the trickż For sure the clamps would slip through the tight clearance between the pipe and wall.

A section of fernco would never make a seal and to get a whole one in place you would have to cut in 2 places. Then pull out a section and put 2 fernco proflexes or, no-hubs in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    A section of fernco would never make a seal and to get a whole one in place you would have to cut in 2 places. Then pull out a section and put 2 fernco proflexes or, no-hubs in place.
    Worling in condo's I can't begin to tell you haow mayn times the idiots that install the shelving, screw thorugh the pipe. I have made this same repair many many times with great sucess. Glad to know I'm not the only one out there that's done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    The way I usually take care of these is to get a slip coupling, cut a section out of it as shown below, then prime and glue it up, snap it on turn it a bit to get a good bond then hold it tight for a bit.

Your wall clearance sounds like it may be a problem.

Thanks Redwood. I like the idea of using a slip coupling cut to size. I think I can deal with the wall clearance by getting creative with my drywall patch. After all, it is in the closet.