OK to offset 3" ABS drain pipe in wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

dselectedPNY

Reaction score
I need to install some blocking in our living room wall between studs to support a very specific AV setup. There is a 3" ABS drain pipe in the way, which is touching the back of the drywall and cannot be bent/moved out of the way manually. In fact at present the drywall pushes the current pipe slightly as-is. The drain pipe drains an upstairs toilet and bathroom sink.

I'm proposing to slightly offset a section the pipe using 45° elbows and a new straight section to move it back 2" where the intersection occurs. Before and after diagrams attached. I don't need advice on how to mount a TV.

Is this a bad idea? Will it pose problems for clogs, or is a 3" drain with slight 45° jogs OK for this?

Thanks!

drain current.jpg
drain proposed.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Should be fine. You will probably need two shielded couplings in addition to what you thought you would need. Those will add thickness. They could be on the jogged section to give clearance.

Follow?

Alternatively, leave the piping as is. Instead screw and glue so some 2x4 or 4x4 blocks to the sides of the existing studs. Attach your new mount into those blocks.

dselectedPNY

Reaction score
Thank you! I have to replace the section anyway due to holes in the pipe, so I will need a coupling no matter what. I plan to do the coupling on the new offset section as you suggest.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks