Heat Pump leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

donk

Reaction score
Hi - you guys helped me before, now I have a prob with my heatpump. I live in a townhouse. I have the condenser in backyard and the evaporator/fan unit off my living room. The pipes that connect them run through the ceiling to the backyard. There's a little electric pump unit next to the inside unit that comes on and pumps condensate (I guess) through a clear plastic tube (in the ceiling) to the backyard when it gets full.

For the past few months, after the unit shuts off (in AC mode) I hear about 1 minute of dripping in my ceiling. Oddly, when the little electric pump comes on I don't hear any drips - only right after the unit shuts off.

Do any of you guys have a clue to what might be dripping? If it was freon (copper tubes) I'd think it would have run out by now? If it was water (condensate) wouldn't it drip mainly when the little electric pump came on? I appreciate any and all ideas.PS: so far the wall board on ceiling doesn't appear wet.
Could it be just a noise from the copper tubes and pipes rattling? (but it sure sounds like liquid.)
Thanks,Donk

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to get up to the air handler or coil to see what is going on.

There are two drains on the coil....the primary drains into the condensate pump reservoir. It the primary is clogged, a secondary drain exists just slightly higher on the drain pan. The secondary will drain to somewher which will annoy you....like onto the ceiling.

SO, you might have a drain issue on the pan, or it might be something to do with the pump, the reservoir, or the tubing. Time for an "eyes on" inspection.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The accumulated moisture on the coil can continue to drip for awhile after the fan turns off, but you want to make sure the drain is not plugged, and it actually is draining into the condensate pump's tank and not somewhere else.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks