Furnace Condensate Line Freezing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzman

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We had a spell of unusually cold weather last week, and I noticed water puddling by our high-efficiency furnace condensate pump. I tracked the 5/16” vinyl tubing and found that it ran up into attic and exited back of house through enclosure that had copper linset for AC outdoor unit. It existed near ground into downspout drain. Sure enough, it was frozen so I used hairdryer to thaw it out, and after lots of little ice pellets came out the water began to flow again.
Now I’m trying to come up with a fix.

After the weather warmed up, I took of cover where vertical tubing drains outside and noticed it was holding water. I giggled tubing which allowed air to enter and all the water drained out which leads me to think that there is a vacuum lock created because air can’t enter system. Could I run the 5/16” drain tubing into 3/4 pvc or pex so air would be able to enter and allow tube to drain. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Fitter30

Reaction score
That condensate is acidic typically ph runs 3-5. Does it have a neutralizer on the line? Running 5/16 line in a larger pipe or tubing works.

Last edited:

Jazzman

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! As far as a neutralizer on drain line, I don’t see anything attached where it’s connected at condensate pump or at end of run before it goes in to downspout drain.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! As far as a neutralizer on drain line, I don’t see anything attached where it’s connected at condensate pump or at end of run before it goes in to downspout drain.
Neutralizer should be between furnace and pump. Furnace makes condensate about 1 gallon per hour 100,000 btu's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks