metalic particles in the well water

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianLaplume

Reaction score
Hello, Ive been having a problem with my well or the past few months. Ive been getting coffee ground like particles out of all my hoses. I put the screen back in my prefilter and its clogging up monthly. The particles are iron, they will stick to a magnet. The well is cased with a cast iron pipe. Its 8 years old and about 70' deep. The original driller took a look and told me not to worry until it stopped working. Do I need to worry? Should I install a larger prefilter and attach a magnet to it and just flush it every month? I will also have to have my water softener looked at, I wasnt filtering the water for the last several months so I imagne all that iron has not been too good for it although it seems to be working fine.
Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
I've never seen or heard of cast iron well casing, except someone here or another forum recently mentioned he had cast iron well casing...

The specks don't have to be iron, it could be manganese etc.. More likely it is something being washed into the well and pumped into the house.

BrianLaplume

Reaction score
so, i've probably got a steel casing, its black pipe. It rises about 2 feet above the ground. With the amount of debris i'm getting I would think the pipe itself was disolving, I dont think this is the case. do you think I could have a hole in the casing? Any other ideas? anything I should ask the local well guys to get them on the right track. I just drained the prefilter and got at least an ounce of grounds. If my well is failing I'd like to start drilling a new one sooner than later.
Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Steel casing doesn't dissolve, it rusts but that takes maybe 30 years and more to cause a problem. I do not believe you have a hole in the casing unless you've had a lightening strike but how old is the well, and have you had a lightening strike?

And you certainly do not need to be planning a new well because of some particles in a disposable filter housing!

My advice is for you to leave the cartridge out of that housing and dump'n clean the housing sump once every month or more and forget about it until you get visibly dirty water, if you ever do.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
My first thought on this is that the pump or bearings are starting to disintergrate. Well pumps last a long time, but not forever.

You could also have a riser pipe staring to contact the dry part of the casing for some reason, possibly due to a breakdown of some other component of the system. If its a long riser there will be considerable twist in it when the pump starts.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks