Plumber's Putty swells out

Users who are viewing this thread

firefly

Reaction score
I used plumber's putty under the flange of my metal basket strainer in my stainless kitchen sink. As weeks go by, the stuff seems to absorb water and swells out. If I remove the oozed-out stuff it keeps coming out (over time). Should I re-install the basket assembly with silicone sealant?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
putty

No, you should finish tightening the strainer, or rather reset it properly and then retighten it. It is oozing out because you did not tighten it enough to squeeze it out in the first place, as time goes by it "settles" itself in and pushes out some of the excess putty. You probably had too much putty and some squeezed out under the sink. You didn't remove it so it interfered when you tried to tighten the locknut.

firefly

Reaction score
putty

I tightened the lock nut another turn. Hopefully it works. I originally was afraid to go so tight thinking all the putty would squish out leaving no material to make a seal.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would have taken it apart, cleaned it up, applied new plumbers putty, and reset it. Not just tighten it more.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
putty

If you got putty in the locknut's threads it may NEVER tighten properly, and once water gets in the joint, the putty may not seal properly regardless of how tight you make it. Take it apart and redo it correctly.

firefly

Reaction score
plumber's putty

if i take it apart, i will use silicone sealant. how can one argue against it? maybe there is concern about a tough disassembly next time the sink gets overhauled?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Do NOT USE SILICONE, unless you plan on never servicing the basket again. The putty does not seal anything, thats not it's purpose. The seal comes from the gasket underneath the sink between the sink and the strainer nut.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
On a kitchen sink the seal is 100% the putty.

No doubt you are using the type of strainer that has a large nut to secure it. I would suggest getting rid of that one and getting one that uses a double cup and a smaller nut to secure it. They are much more forgiving. The large nut has a huge surface area and a lot of friction to overcome. In addition to that throw in excess putty and you have a strainer that you will never get tight.

644003.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
the stuff seems to absorb water and swells out.-quote]

Putty cannot absorb any water, really. If it is oozing out, you probably had too much, and did not tighten it enough. The metal flange should be essentially flush right to the sink, not propped up by some putty.

Wrex

Reaction score
I hope that you are tightening the nut with a strainer nut wrench or water pump pliers and not trying to nudge it tight with a screwdriver.

It will never get properly tightened that way.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks