Sewer condition opinions (pictures)

Users who are viewing this thread

Seattle2855

Reaction score
I've replaced half of my sewer line and now I'm being told the second half is defective too. There are two identified problems.

1. The first problem is where the concrete 6" pipe meets the clay pipe going to the sewer main under the street. The pipe is from 1930. What you see here are two where they meet. The concrete pipe is descending at a steep angle (it goes from 5' deep to 10' deep over a run of about 15 feet). The clay pipe is relatively flat. What looks like a crack at about 3:00 is actually a root. You can see this if you look closely. One inspector says this is normal due to the angle at which the pipes meet. Another says it's an offset that needs to be fixed. (note: the camera is upside down right now)

2510184872_4a0e90aeb6_o.png

2. About 20 feet up from here, there appears to be deterioration in the bottom of the concrete pipe. Not sure if you can see it. The bottom of the pipe is at about 9:00 here.

2510185714_c44c8fce32_o.png

Overall, there is about 55 feet of pipe that the contractor says should be replaced using pipe bursting. Since about 25' is 4" pipe he says it's a more difficult job. The cost is somewhere around $7,500. There are no tie ins.

I guess I'm looking for any thoughts people have on this.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pictures

I am always suspicious of camera diagnoses when the camera operator is also the one trying to get and do the work. Only you know if bursting is the proper method depending on the job site. Bursting is probably the most costly method of replacement, but it also produces the highest profit for the contractor. If the only tool you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail, and if the most profitable tool is a pipe burster, then every job is going to be a candidate for bursting. If it costs more for 4" what size is the rest of the pipe, because in most cases 4" is the STANDARD size. Concrete pipe was an inferior material the day it was installed and started deteriorating almost immediately. In most cases the clay pipe from the main to your property line does not need replacing.

Bombjay

Reaction score
THat great big crack is worrysome but it *may* not be a problem,now.

Seattle2855

Reaction score
THat great big crack is worrysome but it *may* not be a problem,now.

I don't think that's a crack. It's a long black root. If you look closely at the picture you can follow it back and see. I thought it was a crack too when I first looked at it.

Seattle2855

Reaction score
If it costs more for 4" what size is the rest of the pipe, because in most cases 4" is the STANDARD size.

That's a good question. The sewer line is 4" for the first 30 feet. At the sidewalk, it expands to a 6" pipe for the remaining 30 feet until it connects to the 6" clay pipe at the street. So now I'm wondering if I could just have him burst in a 4" pipe the entire way.

I am really, really hoping to now have to disturb the clay pipe. Since it's under street, it will get very expesive to replace. Can they just sleeve in the 4" pipe to the main through the 6" clay pipe? I realize this might be a really dumb question.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Until my lines start to show signs of a blockage, I would never even look at them.

Ignornace is bliss :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

That 6" pipe was installed by the city when the mains were installed, and I have seldom found any sewers where that section was a problem. But I do have a problem with the video guy saying he could not get past a certain point if that section was a 6" pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks