(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: seal chrome vanity pipes

Default seal chrome vanity pipes

Hi all!

I'm installing a vanity with chrome pipes and wondering if I need any special welding or seal to fit the pipes together or just push them in each other and done??

Thanks lot!

Default pipes

We might be able to give an answer if we had any idea of what you are talking about.

well, just a vanity made of glass and using chrome pipes and you can get estensions that fit inside each other ..

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The pipes used for drains on a vanity like that have a sealing gasket and nut that compresses around the pipe to create a seal.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

they do make an extension that just press fits together. The p-trap however will be slip joint with a gasket and compression nut. Older lavs also sometimes have a solder bushing in the tee in the wall. the trap arm was actually soldered in place.

Default ?

just a vanity made of glass and using chrome pipes and you can get estensions that fit inside each other

The explanation is not getting much better. Which chrome pipes? Water lines or drain lines. Drain lines have extensions that fit inside one another, but water lines are not quite that simple.

I'm talking about the pipes that drain the water out from under the sink to drain out.

Sink/basin drains are either chromed copper or PVC. Both work exactly the same. You do not use any sealant on them. They are what are referred to as slip joints so exact lengths are not required. They have gaskets and rings that seal the joint when tightened, and they are only slightly more than hand tightened. The drain end slips into an adapter that is in the main drain which may be PVC, ABS, galvanized steel, cast iron, or copper. The sink end slips over the tail piece coming from the sink.