(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clogged Line

Plumber came out yesterday. He cleared the clog in 15'. He said there are several possibilities going on.

1) Settling could have occurred and the pipe now has a back pitch.

2) Seperation in the pipe that over time collects stuff and eventually clogs

or

3) The tp I'm using is too heavy

I just don't buy #3.

Even though he only needed to go 15' he still had to charge me $300 to run the camera. So I passed on it. If it happens again I'm going to purchase an electric snake and just clean out the pipe myself.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this situation?

Tom

Default snake

I hope they kept on going past the 15' mark. IF that is where the problem was, there could also just be one, or more, secondary locations. The electric snake you need will cost in the neighborhood of $600.00-$1,000.00 and there is a good possibility that you could do like one plumber I worked with, and destroy the $200.00 cable the first time you use it.

Default Some thoughts...

I paid just a pinch over $500.00 for my electric snake back on March of 2007. When I use mine, I just donít push the snake at a fast rate. I kind of tap on the button with my knee and just give it a little at a time. I usually can get the blockage out with the corkscrew head if itís just paper. I had to use the spade head once on a clients house, (and yes, there was a little of the pucker factor going on) as the spade scraped out the inside of a 2Ē corroded cast drain line. Make sure you use gloves when you use it, and wash off the line after you are done. I spray done with lithium grease to keep it from rusting out.
    You might also try flushing twice to get that heavy TP down. The water might be out running your solids.

Mike

He went right to the 25' mark and stopped which is what I paid for.

Can I not use one of the $150 snakes that they sell at HD to clear a tp clog that is 15' away?

What are the down sides of going with this kind of unit?

Tom

A small cable will kink up faster than a big cable. I would rent a machine if I was in your shoes. I'm a professional drain cleaner so be careful doing this. This is definently not rocket science but there is some danger involved. Don't bother with rootx if you haven't gotten any evidence of roots.

What kind of cutter head is your plumber using? What is he bringing back?Where are you located? I have 2 snakes I'm selling. PM me if your interested.
    Last edited by gear junkie; 05-14-2008 at 05:27 PM.

The plumber should have run the entire line to the city sewer!

You have a recurring problem. You should be thinking camera and repair not learning how to run a snake or looking to buy a snake.

Most homes have sewer lines that do not clog on a regular basis. This is where you want to be!

Redwood,

If you knew me better you would know that I really want to fix this permanently. However this is a slab house and the thing is newly remodeled. This issue has struck suddenly and about 6 months apart. I'm hoping it never happens again but I'm not holding my breath or my waste!

Tom

You need to know what the problem is...you should call Roto R and they will camera the line for free, most times, so they can try and sell you the job. In any case running a camera down the line will tell you the problem or problems and pinpoint where they are. That way you know what your dealing with and what needs to be done and maybe how soon it will have to be done.

The problem with free camera's is they are going to try to withhold the location so the only way the info could be used is by them.

This may be a job where more than 1 bid would be good... I suspect the high bidder gives away many free camera's. Nothing is free!

I just wish this problem had reared it's head sooner then I would have chunked through the slab and fixed it. This sucks.

I may go the father and son route. Since I will be right there watching I will know how far down the problem is.

I wonder if digging a large hole on the side of the house and breaking through the foundation, then digging the underside of that room out is the way to go with something like this. Any thoughts? Would the slab cave?

I know concrete is only strong in compression so I bet there is a pretty good risk. Not 100% sure though.

Tom