(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 2" rough-in for Bathroom Sink P-Trap?

Default 2" rough-in for Bathroom Sink P-Trap?

I'm glad my plumber used 2" PVC for my sink waste but I sort of wished he had transitioned to 1-1/2" for the rough in. How should I transition the 2" rough-in to 1-1/2" for the P-Trap and still have a High Box P-Trap Flange that's only 1-3/4" deep cover it - that's the deepest I think they make? If I used all PVC to make connections - it sticks out from the wall approx. 3"...

This is all exposed decorative plumbing...
    Brian

I would have used a 2 X 2 X 1 1/2 sani-tee in the wall. A 2" Tee can be bushed down to 1 1/2".

Default drain

Do you have a fitting hub or a piece of pipe sticking out of the wall? If it is a hub/bell then you can insert a bushing into it. If it is a pipe, cut it off flush with the wall, or behind the wall if you have an internal cutter. But before you do that, call some of the better plumbing supply companies, and see if they have a 2" 'Top Cap" cleanout fitting. If so, it will glue inside the pipe with a 1 1/2" pipe thread outlet that you can screw a brass male thread Marvel connector/trap adapter/De Sanko fitting, depending on what they are called in your area. The same company will have it also.

Sorry about this but I made a mistake. I have a 2" X 1-1/2" UPS PVC hub...so, I don't need to reduce it then. Do I buy that threaded 1-1/2" PVC fitting that gets glued into the hub that the p-trap goes into? Or, do you recommend something else? My motto is do it once, I don’t care the cost, so long as I don’t have to do it again. Thanks…
    Brian

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I think you could just glue in a Desanko fitting that would let you connect the drain line directly using it's compression fitting.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default fitting

You get a street/spigot trap adapter, that glues into the hub and has a slip joint for the trap on the other end.

Thanks...off to Lowes or Home Depot.
    Brian

Default adapter

good luck finding what you need there.