proper venting

Users who are viewing this thread

beretat

Reaction score
hi

im basicaly learning as i go in renovation of our house, and just recently i learned how important is proper venting of c-traps(my main c-trap broke, whole lot of mess...fixed , dont wanna look back :eek: )

....anyway
i'm putting sink in new position in my bathroom...
on the pic is the situation in my bath, and intended drainage

can u let me know if my design would work?
or if there is better way to do this?
do i have to put extra vent branch for the sink?:confused:

thank you for any comment!!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 676

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Lets assume that the bathroom is on the top floor of your home.

First they are called P -trap

Second you cannot connect a sink drain to a shower P trap. They need to be vented and trapped seperately (There are sub sections in our code for different types of venting) But this is very basic set up that I drew for you

this will give you an idea of what to look for. Venting sizing and drainage sizing are also critical

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 599

beretat

Reaction score
sorry for my wrong terms p-traps sound better :eek:

your scheme would be ideal i know, but would require too much open walls etc., trying to save some labour...

so the option 1 would not work? i was thinking that the shower drain could work as a vent itself for the sink p-trap, just would add air to the drain system from my bathroom not from my roof... i guess it is crazy talk...

would option 2 work in my case? sink to the drain/vent branch is 56"

Attachments

• plumbing2.jpg
    plumbing2.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 550

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
your second option would be ok, providing that the main stack is a minimum 3" diameter and the distance from each trap to the stack does not acceed 5' or 60"

Attachments

• untitled 2.JPG
    untitled 2.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 531

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Judging by your layout of the fixtures, I have no clue how you are going to have the sink drain stack vented when your stack is on the opposite wall. Within the 5' span you cannot have any change of direction excedding 135 degrees before it ties into the main stack

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Even if the shower is a minimum of 36" and the sink space also a minimum, you till may be exceeding the maximum distance you can run without having an auxilliary vent on the lavatory line. We all would like to be able to install piping with a minimum of labor, and repair, but it is not always possible. If you did it like your original drawing, you might as well just drill a hole in the side of the shower and run the sink into it. It would be the same thing, but require a lot less time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Shower drain should be 2"

Code calls for the shower drain to be 2". You have it listed as 1.5"...while you may find a prefab shower with a 1.5" drain, it is not code compliant anywhere in the US.

beretat

Reaction score
uhhh too many labor unfriendly informations :eek:

sorry my second picture says 'main stack' what i meant to say was the branch of main stack...

and that means trouble right? it seams like that branch 1.5" is meant to be use for one p-trap and ONE p-trap only is that the rule?

ok the whole story is like this... this bathroom was too small for 4pcs, there was bathtub ,toilet and sink right in the way when u open the door, so we decided to make some changes, use existing drain and cold,hot water of bathtub for the corner shower and just add sink in the corner, and keep toilet on the same spot...

easy say but there is too many problems with this right?:(

it is in bungalow and the door has to stay in the same spot...

would anybody thought of better layout of given drain pipes?

thank you

Attachments

• bath.jpg
    bath.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 511
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks