(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Help Me Understand

Question Help Me Understand

Hello, and thank you in advance for your advice. I would like the drain in my tub to be replaced. Just the beauty ring? and the part you see down to the cross piece. Can this be done? Is is that complicated? My husband is not sure how to do this, I told him I would find out!! Ok, you can lol now, but I will take your advice!! Thank you

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I don't know if those are generic. They make a spud wrench to fit over the cross-bars and unscrew it. You're less likely to break them off if you use one, but still no guarantees. The gasket should probably be replaced at the same time and put some plumber's putty under the new piece (unless it is a fiberglass tub). It might require a new drain...
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

It can be a can of worms that may lead to replacing the waste & overflow. Use a Dumbell Wrench to try unscewing it first and hope it works.
    Last edited by Terry; 06-16-2008 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
    It can be a can of worms that may lead to replacing the waste & overflow. Use a Dumbell Wrench to try unscewing it first and hope it works.
    THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    I don't know if those are generic. They make a spud wrench to fit over the cross-bars and unscrew it. You're less likely to break them off if you use one, but still no guarantees. The gasket should probably be replaced at the same time and put some plumber's putty under the new piece (unless it is a fiberglass tub). It might require a new drain...
    THANK YOU

Dumbell wrench

Last edited by Terry; 12-15-2008 at 05:12 PM.

Default drain

The trim ring may unscrew easily, or it could require that it be cut out. There is no way to tell until you try it. If it needs to be cut out and you persist in trying to unscrew it, you will probably snap the pipe under the tub and have a major repair job on your hands.

http://www.watcomfg.com/WATCO/Downlo...PriceGuide.pdf

See the QuickTrim kits on page 17, and the NuFit kits on page 18. These allow a quick and easy update of tub trim without getting into possible difficulties. They just snap in, or glue in, to the existing shoe. I have a NuFit on my own tub, over a year now, and it is fine.