Advice for 19 year old entering plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeff3416

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum as a member, but have been browsing it for some time. Lots of knowledgeable info. I was looking for some advice for my 19 year old nephew who's starting school soon to become a plumber. We are based in Ontario and he's taking the course in Stoney Creek. I really want to set him up for success that's why I'm posting. Any advice or tips on getting an apprenticeship with a company would be very helpful. I was going to tell him to contact every company within driving distance and apply. Also having his own vehicle would help his chance too, but not sure. Any input on anything this relates to would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never heard of Stoney Creek or the plumbing cources offered in canada. I would say a UA aprenticeship is the best and concider that. To me and My opinion I like to start with new construction and go from there. rather than learn how to clear drains or change water heaters or something that is a part of plumbing but my opinion a really good water heater installer or drain cleanner is just that and they could have a good career but a narrow experiance in the field of plumbing. Pipefitting and Pipe welding is an off shoot and differant trade and I think rewarding in every way and possibilitys there as well.
Many jobs in plumbing require transportation a car is often needed . you really limit oportunity without wheels but if you dont have a car its tough luck do whatever it takes to get where you gotta go

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When I finished my UA training and passed all my journeymen courses I was qualified to work in any US state plus Canada

The UA training is AMAZING

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks